Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback on this design.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjack7440 View Post
    I'm not a blade collector but I do like and use a well made knife daily for difference task depending what I'm doing and where I'm at . Say Im at work well then I like a nice lock blade like a good benchmade . If I'm camping or in a hunt etc I like a very well made straight blade like ESSE . From the looks of your blade you picked a very good design that's good for self defense as well as a survival / outdoors type of blade.

As Im currently in the market for a survival / camping knife I've recently looked at many knifes and blades for almost 2 weeks now , yeh OCD . And I'm really drawn towards the ESSE 4 as it's the perfect size for what I need . Your blade you have here is what Id be looking for in the style of knife . Since you asked for
    comments / opinions I'd like to see your design with scales or at lest a option to add them if buying. For a guy like me that's looking for a good all around survival or camping knife handles are a must. I'd like to see it with some Smooth CF handles but " NOT" so rounded edges . But tapered off as it seals with the tang . I'd have to say as it sits right now I'd like to have one with para cord in the manner you chose to seal it. I also think this would be perfect on a slick rig as in grab and go with this in a molle on my left shoulder strap . Anyway like I said before , this is what im in the marker for and I'd like to try / use one . I did not got into metal Pacific's as I don't know enough about this to discuss it . Witch is also as you know extremely important question when it comes to this trade. I'm hopping your way passed that and it's top shield material witch I'm sure it is .
    Thanks and good luck with your skills / Trade

Sent from my rocket ship using
    My cell'y
    Thanks for your in depth response bigjack7440, It sounds like you've spent some fun times in the outdoors! In the attached image, which scales are more what you had in mind? Regarding steel I'm going with O1 tool steel at the moment as I'm experienced heat treating it. I also enjoy the balance it provides between edge retention and ease of re-sharpening. Its care simply requires that you treat it like a rifle. Give it a light oil and wipe it down when your done with it. The appearance of the heat treat scale and the patina it develops over time with use is also nice. At the moment I'm playing with lightly textured G-10 scales attached with flared stainless steel tube.

In case your wondering, the blades in the pic are A2 tool steel.

Last edited by FLC Knives; 11-15-15 at 09:35. Reason: forgot to add pic!
    Grinder Monkey, CEO and Janitor at FLC Knives.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Looks good...I like the design, and to my eyes looks like primarily a self defense blade. I have wide hands, and as long as they fit, I really like what I see... pm me some sizing specs and a price list-
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    Looks good...I like the design, and to my eyes looks like primarily a self defense blade. I have wide hands, and as long as they fit, I really like what I see... pm me some sizing specs and a price list-
    Thanks Campbell! Here's a pic for size reference. I'll send you that PM here in a minute or 2.

Feedback Score
    There's been 3 recurring suggestions so I combined them into one blade for easy viewing.

Mod 1 - create more positive "stop" for index finger.
    (I like how this one turned out and it feels good)

Mod 2 - create more positive "stop" for the thumb.
    (this one also turned out well and feels good)

Mod 3 - get rid of recurve to simplify sharpening process.
    (this mod doesn't do anything for me personally as I don't mind sharpening the recurve)

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think about the modifications from both a functional and aesthetic point of view.

Feedback Score
    I had another thought this morning about getting a bit more depth in that index finger area.

Feedback Score
    Hey Guys,
    I have been playing with several slight profile modifications based on feedback received. I will likely offer this in 3 configurations to suit the end user.
    I'd really like to hear which mods you guys like or dislike and why?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    recurve knife blades draw me like a moth to a flame. I think it has to do with one of the first knives I lusted after being an Emerson Commander and anything recurve being elegant to me, even though I don't carry it much anymore, the hand shape I like since it is close to my current carry which I like for all kinds of work. I like the looks of the original personally, and the modded first, version, second from left may be nicer to me, but unfortunately I cannot say without putting hands on product.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    recurve knife blades draw me like a moth to a flame. I think it has to do with one of the first knives I lusted after being an Emerson Commander and anything recurve being elegant to me, even though I don't carry it much anymore, the hand shape I like since it is close to my current carry which I like for all kinds of work. I like the looks of the original personally, and the modded first, version, second from left may be nicer to me, but unfortunately I cannot say without putting hands on product.
    Thanks for the feedback Kain, The recurves aesthetic appeals to me as well. As you mentioned it is hard to get a concrete opinion without holding in hand. To give you a bit of perspective the overall length is 8" and the blade is 3 and 3/4" long.

Feedback Score
    The most recent feedback that has been discussed is that the amount of belly in the handle should be altered. What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    I like belly in my knives typically. Unless it's a tanto. Otherwise, something like a roach-belly almost.

I prefer the original design, jimping on top, with scales. Preferably micarta. Love the heat scale left as finish. Love the grind. If you round the tip, I'm out. Might make it a good skinner though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast