Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Minimalist vehicle survival/get home kit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
    The Sierras are a scary place too, I've spent over 100 nights backpacking in the sierras and the weather can be unpredictable and crazy. I've had days where you would think a 8 mile hike is no big deal, its sunny and 50 degrees, then by 10am its raining, and by noon its hailing and then snow. it can be a dangerous place to hike let alone survive. if you have ANY doubt about making it to your destination on foot, stay with your vehicle. At least in northern nevada and california. The world is not ending and help will eventually come.
    Meh, lived in the Sierras all my life... Love the weather and thrive in it! Ok, so I am more prepared for it than most. I did have to hike some 12 miles out of the snow one time when my ATV got stuck. Wife got worried as I arrived just after dark.

If you are on a major highway stuck and it is snowing... just wait. The snow plows will be by soon enough and then curse you for being in their way.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    A local map and a compass. Seems perty basic but being able to cut across from A to B may get you home quicker.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy a life straw. You could drink out of a mud hole if needed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSledgehammer View Post
    Buy a life straw. You could drink out of a mud hole if needed.
    They're lightweight, too. I put one in my "what if" bag.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234