Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ** Updated - Pics Pg 4 ** Where are my Ruger 10/22 people? Buy new or assemble?

Feedback Score

** Updated - Pics Pg 4 ** Where are my Ruger 10/22 people? Buy new or assemble?

Ok - I made he mistake of shooting a friend's suppressed 10/22 a couple months ago. I now have a Gem-tech Mist 22 that is waiting on stamp approval. My dilemma now is whether or not to buy a complete 10/22 as a donor rifle, or assemble one from parts.

Part of the reason I'm leaning towards assembly is that I want to use the Magpul X22 stock and I will of course be replacing the factory bbl (for those who don't know the Gem-tech can is part suppressor and part bbl).

I found this option for a receiver: http://www.tacticalmachining.com/100...-receiver.html

Advantages to an aftermarket receiver include a built in picatinny rail and a hole in the rear to allow a cleaning rod. And maybe better quality materials?

The concerns I have are mostly based on my not knowing what I don't know. I've built a few AR's but I know squat about the 10/22. Is it easy to assemble the small parts? Is it easy to install the trigger? Is it going to save me a lot of frustration just buying a $200 complete rifle and swapping the stock and bbl?

I'm hoping to learn from those of you who have gone before me. Thanks!
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-15-16 at 21:11.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    A 10/22 is even easier to put together than an AR15. It's blowback operated and all the small bits can be bought already assembled like the trigger group and bolt. There's really not much to it. I say assemble from scratch, I just hate tossing a bunch of perfectly good parts.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    An alternative that's a real sleeper is to got a bone stock cheap one and send it to someone like Connecticut precision clambering and get the works. You'd have a total sleeper that can outperform fancy parts guns.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I rebuilt my childhood 10/22 about a decade ago. Pretty simple.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First off, everything about the 10/22 is stupid easy.
    If you already have a bolt and receiver, it's a no brainer to go with CPC.

Even from scratch, building from aftermarket parts becomes very expensive, very fast. The quality of the receiver material is not that big a deal. Get a decent scope rail, if you use a rod, drill a hole in the back for cleaning and you're in business. The question is, how much do you want to spend?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would assemble. If you have ever shot a custom you will never go back. look at volquartsen for parts. Make it a gun to keep a lifetime.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I bought a Ruger 10/22 receiver off Gunbroker for $100 shipped. Then I bought a Magpul 10/22 stock from G&R Tactical. All the other parts came from Kidd.

It took an evening to put it all together.

I got a very nice Nikon .22 scope from Natchez that was a factory refurb for half price. The whole thing with barrel, scope, parts, stock, etc was under a grand. I'm going to put a stainless .22 can on it, and wage war upon the local tree rat population.

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    I recently had a similar dilemma. I was leaning towards taking my stock 10/22 and putting the Magpul x22 on it. After some consideration, I knew I would want to swap some other parts in the process.
    Long story short, I ended up leaving the 10/22 as is and finding a great deal on a tactical solutions x-ring .22 rifle. I'll be switching the hogue stock on the x-ring rifle for the Magpul x22.
    I'm happy with the decision to leave the stock 10/22 alone. It would've cost quite a bit to swap out multiple parts, not to mention the extra parts that would be left unused. I say just go for something more custom from the beginning. You won't regret it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Whatever you do get a Kidd trigger assy! http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Sing...p-In_p_29.html Kidds are the best triggers for ruger period. (I like volquartsen components, but Kidd triggers beat em hands down)

The trigger is the most important part of the 10/22 after a great barrel. Just go ahead and get the full metal one listed above, it's a single stage that can go from 1.5 - 5lbs. I don't how he can sell them so cheap, the machine work is flawless, the feel fantastic, and finish is beautiful as well.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That is what I have, the Kidd single stage. It does feel quite nice.

I'm looking forward to adding the can, and seeing how quiet it runs with some CCI .22 shorts or CB caps.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast