View Poll Results: Still think ceramic armor is "better"

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

44 78.57%
  • No.

12 21.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still think ceramic armor is "better" than steel?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What it basically comes down to is:

If you can't afford the best, go with steel. It has gotten better as a budget alternative.

If you place more value on your life and your back, if you have to navigate by compass, and if you have a fear of drowning, ceramic is the way to go.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    That's s fairly simplistic view. There things that ceramic does better and things that steel does better. Much depends on which plates we compare.

Compare the TTM/Spartan level III+ Armaply to the Highcom level IV 4SAS7. The TTM steel plate is lighter and thinner and the Highcom ceramic plate is less expensive. Sure, if you compare a genuine ESAPI to an older style level III AR500 plate with no frag coating, there is little advantage to the steel plate, but most ceramic plates aren't as durable as the ESAPI and most steel plates are far better than those old Level III plates. I just take issue with categorical statements.

Feedback Score
    Hey....

Like your crank, we don't want to see that in public. Your PM function probably works just fine, so use it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    lymanbishop, we require that all those with industry affiliations state so publicly, be it as a manufacturer, vendor, trainer or whatever.

https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?fa...q_new_faq_item

5) Industry Disclosure – If you are an industry manufacturer/dealer or employed by one you must disclose this relationship through your screen name or signature line.
    If you make and/or sell ballistic protection, you will ID your company and your affiliation to it in your signature line, since you're screen-name is already set.

Please see to this discrepancy before you post again.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewWiggin View Post
    Ceramic isn't quite as fragile as many would have you believe. If your plate carrier fell off your vehicle or if it is subjected to a bumpy road in your trunk, or if you trip and fall on a rock, it will probably still be fine. This test shows that a steel plate will still be fine and will survive much more than you can.

I don't know what you're getting at, but if ceramic SAPI plates were as easy to damage as you say they are the military would be issuing steel. Falling off a vehicle after a bumpy ride is a staple of militar life, not to mention slamming your chest into hard stationary oblects. I agree steel is more economical if you're paying out of your own pocket, but ceramic is simply better as a product.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that those events would damage the plate, just that we are advised to X-ray them off they take a knock. If that's not an option, there may be some making doubt, no matter how much the conscious side of your brain days everything is probably fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123