Thread: How do you store magazines long term?

Feedback Score

How do you store magazines long term?

Hello,

I currently store all my magazines in sealed cardboard boxes with some dessicant in them but now I'm starting to wonder if the springs will rust 10 - 30 years from now.

So my question is should I be worried about rust forming on magazine springs or is it a non issue. I'd prefer not to store them in ammo cans if possible but if rust is an issue than I will.

FWIW, my magazines consist of USGI, PMAG, AK steel and bulgarian waffle and glock magazines. I don't live by the ocean either.

Thanks for any responses.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You are worrying about nothing. Having said that cardboard will retain moisture before a regular steel ammo can will even with dessicant as dessicant doesn't last forever (to the best of my knoweldge). I personally keep mine in a large 40MM ammo can. Unless they are being exposed to extreme temperature variations you should be fine and I don't think rust will be an issue.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up P-Mags for long term storage

Stored P-Mags in FireProof Safe. P-mags never creep, never deform, a must have for long term storage... not too mention they come with dust covers which add further protection

Feedback Score
    At my age, I will most likely not be alive in 20 ro 30 years -- So I keep most of mine loaded near the firearms they support! I have mags over 40 years old that work fine. Just keep them dry, lightly oiled and clean.

Feedback Score
    The effectiveness of desiccant depends on whether the environment is relatively "sealed"... otherwise the desiccant will soak up whatever moisture is able to easily enter... That means your desiccant may quickly lose its effectiveness... or need frequent monitoring/changes. Ammo cans satisfy the sealed environment criteria... so do properly configured gun safes... If the cans or safe are themselves inside a climate controlled environment (home, office, etc. as opposed to unheated/cooled garage, attic, shed) all the better.