Thread: The Minimalist IFAK / Blow Out Kit - 3 Essentials

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    As a single item for a single kit, no it's not a big deal. But if I wanted to stock multiple kits or a large kit for multiple ppl, then it adds up pretty quick when I can make 2-3 ace/gauze wraps per every one Olaes. I do agree overall though and will have an Olaes in my EDC kit.
    Paul Howe advocates kerlix and coflex if you need quantity, he also recommends pulling it out of the factory wrap and staging them in small zip-lock bags to reduce that extra step in an emergency. Another advantage is that you can also use the same items for training and then just backfill it when training is complete. The only downside I've found is that its much more bulky compared to a flat Olaes dressing, if I'm mounting it to a war belt or plate carrier I'll use an Olaes, if I have some extra space such as a vehicle aid bag I'll double up on kerlix and coflex.

As for TCCC classes, check out www.conditionred.us - the instructor is tied in with a bunch of LE agencies in the NY area as well as the Air Force Pararescue community. Plus he's one of the few people outside the military with the ability to actually certify TCCC instructors and training sites for NAEMT.
    Last edited by Treehopr; 12-26-15 at 20:50.