Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Minimalist IFAK / Blow Out Kit - 3 Essentials

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The Minimalist IFAK / Blow Out Kit - 3 Essentials

After assisting in teaching a course this past week with another tactical medic, and fielding dozens of questions regarding kits, gear to get, gear to carry, and so on I decided to post this here for some of the guys who may be asking the same question, "What is the bare minimum kit?" (As it pertains to an Individual First Aid Kit or Trauma Blow out kit).

After 9 years to present as an active Tactical Paramedic (14 years as a paramedic), and several TCCC/LETTC week long courses I have come to the informed opinion that there are 3 items that can handle most situations, as well as be a bare minimum kit for the non-medic, regular shooter.

-CAT or SOF-T Tourniquet (1)
    -QuikClot Z Fold Gauze (Hemostatic Agent) (Get the Latest Generation NOT granular or old Gen Roll)
    -Olaes Bandage

The tourniquets mentioned are the best. Done.
    Quikclot is now proven to be the number one hemostatic agent.
    The Olaes dressing has within its contents a plastic sheet that can be used as a chest seal, extra gauze for wound packing, eye cup/pressure point, and the dressing serves as an amazing pressure dressing.

With this hardware above, and the appropriate training to get you the right "software" in your head, you can provide exceptional care to reduce the fatality rate of the most common cause of preventable death in this line of work - Exsanguination (bleeding to death).

Tourniquet early, tourniquet fast. (high and tight).
    Pack that wound with QuikClot onto the vessel if possible/into the cavity and HOLD PRESSURE FOR 3 MINUTES.
    Secure wound site with pressure dressing.

Hope this helps some guys out. Remember, if you carry a gun you should carry a kit, it is as important as the bullets in your mags.
    Last edited by TacMedic556; 11-20-15 at 15:38.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    How long can these items stay applied before they need to be removed? I spend a fair amount of time in the back country solo and I get into dangerous activities frequently. I spend most of my time off the beaten path so to speak. For this reason I tend to carry more aid than a typical backpacker ever would. I have all 3 items mentioned and extra gauze roles for packing /changing dressings. My biggest concern is getting caught in a situation where I'm going to be there awhile and I don't want to rely on rescue to save my life. I try to think of long term (days) rather than hours.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Aside from the multi use aspect of the Olaes (which you would still need tape for the improv chest seal, right?), what do you think about z-fold gauze and ace wrap as a low cost solution for a pressure dressing? Do you really need the pressure point/bar to make a pressure dressing work?

And thanks for starting the thread. Good info!
    Last edited by Ironman8; 11-20-15 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Aside from the multi use aspect of the Olaes (which you would still need tape for the improv chest seal, right?), what do you think about z-fold gauze and ace wrap as a low cost solution for a pressure dressing? Do you really need the pressure point/bar to make a pressure dressing work?

You can get an olaes for $7. No idea why you would need to save money on that?

https://www.google.com/search?q=olae...obile&ie=UTF-8

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    All of this requires as I stated, "software" aka training. I wish I could put a huge class on for the guys here on M4C for free. I literally would. You asked a good question. Tourniquets when placed by a "layperson" need to stay in place if they were placed for extreme hemorrhage. If you required a TQ, and hemostatic agent then you need immediate evac my friend. You need a SPOT device or some way to communicate that you need to get out. This type of wound needs definitive care, likely vascular surgery if an artery was involved. The rule with TQ's is they should only be in place for 2-3 hours. The wounds I am discussing need to be addressed in a matter of hours, not days. I hope that helps answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    How long can these items stay applied before they need to be removed? I spend a fair amount of time in the back country solo and I get into dangerous activities frequently. I spend most of my time off the beaten path so to speak. For this reason I tend to carry more aid than a typical backpacker ever would. I have all 3 items mentioned and extra gauze roles for packing /changing dressings. My biggest concern is getting caught in a situation where I'm going to be there awhile and I don't want to rely on rescue to save my life. I try to think of long term (days) rather than hours.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You could secure the plastic piece in the Olaes with the wrap itself if that was the isolated injury. You could even potentially stabilize a flail chest with it if secured with additional bulky dressings. I would rather have the Olaes for as Mr. Blasty put it correctly $7. Yes and ACE wrap and Z-fold QuikClot will work. Is it the best? I don't think so. I do carry Ace wraps in my more extensive kit however. The list I put above is what I believe is the BEST 3 items if you had to choose. TQO - Tourniquet, QuikClot, Olaes I used to put 10 pounds of shit in a 5 lb bag when I started doing this. I carry less and less as time goes on. What is the MOST LIKELY preventable cause of death scenario you will encounter in a gunfight? - Extremity wound with hemorrhage. I hope this helps. Thanks for the discussion.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    You can get an olaes for $7. No idea why you would need to save money on that?

https://www.google.com/search?q=olae...obile&ie=UTF-8

As a single item for a single kit, no it's not a big deal. But if I wanted to stock multiple kits or a large kit for multiple ppl, then it adds up pretty quick when I can make 2-3 ace/gauze wraps per every one Olaes. I do agree overall though and will have an Olaes in my EDC kit.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 11-20-15 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As a single item for a single kit, no it's not a big deal. But if I wanted to stock multiple kits or a large kit for multiple ppl, then it adds up pretty quick when I can make 2-3 ace/gauze wraps per every one Olaes. I do agree overall though and will have an Olaes in my EDC kit.
    I can't under any circumstances shake my personal belief that ending life and saving life should be a no expenses spared endeavor. For that reason I'll most likely never do it professionally because then budgets and administrators are involved.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks again TacMedic. Do you have any recommendations for TCCC type classes? I think NAR offered them at one point but not sure anymore.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    All of this requires as I stated, "software" aka training. I wish I could put a huge class on for the guys here on M4C for free. I literally would. You asked a good question. Tourniquets when placed by a "layperson" need to stay in place if they were placed for extreme hemorrhage. If you required a TQ, and hemostatic agent then you need immediate evac my friend. You need a SPOT device or some way to communicate that you need to get out. This type of wound needs definitive care, likely vascular surgery if an artery was involved. The rule with TQ's is they should only be in place for 2-3 hours. The wounds I am discussing need to be addressed in a matter of hours, not days. I hope that helps answer your question.
    SPOT is on my short list but I don't have one yet. I fully understand the importance of getting help asap but some things end up out of ones control at times. Medical training is something both my wife and I (she does a fair amount with me) are looking to get in the short term. If you have some recommendations for training in or near Minnesota, I'm all ears. I'm pretty much a regular at the hospital. I'm particularly interested in improvised medical care and emergency care in austere conditions. Combat medical training seems to have more to offer me than a basic emt course.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast