Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to rethread a 5/8-24 muzzle break to 5/8-32?

Feedback Score

Is it possible to rethread a 5/8-24 muzzle break to 5/8-32?

I want to get a different muzzle brake for my RRA 458 socom barrel but they use proprietary threading (5/8-32). Can I buy a brake with 5/8-24 threading and use a 5/8-32 thread tap to rethread it? If not, any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    No you can't. It will just chew it up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    So do I have any options other than getting the barrel rethreaded?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is there anther brake that will work with the .458? I ask not knowing much about parts available for that round. I'm thinking they threaded it weird so folks can't put a .30 brake on there and kaboom the barrel.

Ideally you would have it rethreaded, but that might mean you will have to pin and weld it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lattin1 View Post
    So do I have any options other than getting the barrel rethreaded?
    There are some tricks with threaded inserts; but most don't work on fine threads. Your options are:

1) Have the barrel shortened, and a new thread cut.
    2) Bore out the muzzle brake to 3/4" and tap a piece of 3/4" 0.120 wall tubing to 5/8-32 inside thread, then weld that into the brake. 7/8"x 0.156" wall would give you a little more meat for tapping it, if the muzzle device is large enough to accept it.

Feedback Score
    Guess I'll go with the shortened, rethreaded barrel option. Boring out the muzzle and welding threaded tubing inside would probably work but I don't know if I'm willing to put that kind of time and effort into it. How short can you go on a mid-length gas system?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can go very short with a mid-length, you just might need to drill the gas port a little bigger. What length is it now? Is it already SBR'd?

I thought all the RRA 458 barrels were carbine gas systems. Where/when did you get yours?

Feedback Score
    It's 16" now. I have a lower with a tax stamp so sbr'ing it isn't a problem. I bought it online two years ago. Don't remember what site it was from though.
    Last edited by lattin1; 11-25-15 at 01:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1)You can have an adapter made with 5/8-32 threaded female and 5/8-24 male for another muzzle device, it will add about 3/4-1" length overall but is the easiest solution.

Silencerco makes these 22 adapters for an example : http://www.store.silencerco.com/prod...mfire-adapters

2) Another option would be to get your muzzle device with smaller threads (like 1/2-28) and bore it out and thread it 5/8-32, just be aware of caliber diameters and the internal bore size requirements.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hmm, doing a little poking around makes me think you shouldn't go any shorter. I would either have it cut just enough to get new threads, or else go 14.5 or so and weld over the current hole and drill a new carbine position hole.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...vailable/page3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast