Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More concealable carry ideas

Feedback Score

More concealable carry ideas

I used to be able to carry full size guns without too much an issue but recently I leaned up a bit and am now finding it difficult to carry without printing. I'm looking for suggestions on carry methods to get around this- I am not a twig but rather I am an athletic/muscular built guy so even riding in the car while carrying iwb 4 o'clock has become unbearably uncomfortable when it used to be a non issue.

I am considering deeper concealment options like pocket carry and single stack slim options for iwb 4 o'clock carry. I am not interested in shoulder/chest rigs right now, and I am not a fan of appendix carry. I also do not want ankle carry to be my primary carry method.

I'd appreciate any thoughts here. Some of the handguns I'm thinking about include:
    -G43 for pocket carry or iwb
    -Shield for iwb or the rare pocket carry if I'm wearing the right pants
    -LC9S pro for pocket and iwb
    -LCR for flexible carry aka any pocket, and perhaps occasional iwb carry

The G43 hasn't impressed me but it seems pretty good all around. The Shield I have actually fired and like, but it is honestly a little big for what I would want though I think it would solve my problem with iwb carry printing though I'd still need to dress around it unlike pocket carry. LC9S pro I have not fired but I have fired the LC9; the s pro trigger impressed me and the size is good but I have read about issues with the followers deteriorating and leading to the slide jamming on the follower in a non-locked back position on empty. The LCR appeals to me because of how concealable it is though I have fired it in .357 and found it incredibly unpleasant (I could deal with that). The 9mm LCR seemed neat until I read about bullet jump, and the 3" LCR seems appealing but does not come in .357. Another issue is that I have difficulty finding .357 mag ammo locally.

Again, any input is appreciated. I see a lot of options that seem like they could probably work but nothing strikes me as being the "right" choice.

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)
    I've owned all but the LC9. I have a G43 and plan on getting another.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I would maybe experiment with holsters first. What did you use to carry?
    I'm all of 5'10" 165lbs with no shoulders. My usual carry is either a 5" 1911 or a Glock 17 IWB. Found a holster I like for both and I carry all day. Have tried other holsters with the same guns and couldn't hardly last a few hours.
    To conceal I just wear patterned button up shirts.

Feedback Score
    I would look at the shirts I wear to start with, buy a shirt a little bigger and try that.

I also don't like appendix carry but I carry IWB with the pistol very forward on my hip and I only carry full sized pistols and I don't print. Glock 34 with RMR or a Hi Power are my main carry pistols.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You could try a few different holster options before you swap out guns, I have heard people saying the RCS Eidolon is great for thinner guys and hides very, very well.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Holster has been an Aliengear IWB which I like and don't think is the problem as I have not had a problem with it in the past. I used to be able to just wear a thicker material size L t shirt over it with a compact or full size and not have an issue. Now, I have problems wearing a t shirt and a large for size, size L button up flannel.

I think part of the issue is that I don't have the lower back "padding" I used to so at a 4 o'clock position the grip is at an oblique angle to my body and sticks out. I could probably keep it flat if I moved it to 5 o'clock but at that point the grip is over my spine and I would rather print than risk a spinal cord injury if I fell backwards or had someone push me to the ground if worst came to worst.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am 5'11", 150lb. I can carry a full size, but I need to do so around 3:30 for it to be comfy. This means I need a pretty baggy cover garment. As I've leaned out more, I've given up on my M&P 40c, as my XD-M 40 is almost as comfy and a heckuva lot more firepower.

My solution was a PPS because I shoot it really well, but you can't go wrong with any of the new single-stack 9mm guns. The thinner slide and grip on these guns really tucks them into skinny guys much more comfortably. The PPS with short magazine is super-flat, but still extremely easy to draw, shoot, and hit stuff with. It's the only small single-stack that never has me re-gripping between shots. I give up a little capacity to a double-stack, and reloads are slower, but I'm 90% as fast at drawing and getting 8-9 shots on target with the PPS as I am with the XD-M or even Kimber Custom Target.

I also have a Ruger LCP that I pocket carry. I would have to wear some seriously baggy pants to pocket-carry a G42 or bigger, and even then drawing would be hard. The LCP slips right into jeans or a suit.

My brother-in-law has been ankle carrying an Airweight J-Frame and really likes that as a comfy, highly-concealed option. I haven't tried that method myself. I know I can't pocket-carry an LCR or J-frame comfortably.

FWIW, I carry in Comp-Tac MTACs, except the LCP which is in a Galco (I think) pocket holster that came with the (used) gun.
    Last edited by Auto-X Fil; 11-16-15 at 06:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
    I am 5'11", 150lb. I can carry a full size, but I need to do so around 3:30 for it to be comfy. This means I need a pretty baggy cover garment. As I've leaned out more, I've given up on my M&P 40c, as my XD-M 40 is almost as comfy and a heckuva lot more firepower.

My solution was a PPS because I shoot it really well, but you can't go wrong with any of the new single-stack 9mm guns. The thinner slide and grip on these guns really tucks them into skinny guys much more comfortably. The PPS with short magazine is super-flat, but still extremely easy to draw, shoot, and hit stuff with. It's the only small single-stack that never has me re-gripping between shots. I give up a little capacity to a double-stack, and reloads are slower, but I'm 90% as fast at drawing and getting 8-9 shots on target with the PPS as I am with the XD-M or even Kimber Custom Target.

I also have a Ruger LCP that I pocket carry. I would have to wear some seriously baggy pants to pocket-carry a G42 or bigger, and even then drawing would be hard. The LCP slips right into jeans or a suit.

My brother-in-law has been ankle carrying an Airweight J-Frame and really likes that as a comfy, highly-concealed option. I haven't tried that method myself. I know I can't pocket-carry an LCR or J-frame comfortably.

FWIW, I carry in Comp-Tac MTACs, except the LCP which is in a Galco (I think) pocket holster that came with the (used) gun.
    The PPS I love in some regards but really dislike in others. I dislike the backstrap safety thing and I think the paddle mag release is terrible. Other than that I like it.

I also have a comp-tac mtac but I haven't used it in a while. Good holster but I like that aliengear uses metal belt clips.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't like the blackstrap safety, but I think it's much ado about nothing. Just leave the damn thing alone and it's a non-issue. That and the price pushed me away from it when it first came out, but I've realized all the press about the backstrap was overblown. And the price is way down - I paid under $400 new.

I really have come to love paddle releases in general. To the point that it's tempting to ditch my XD for a VP9 (that trigger doesn't hurt either). The PPS isn't as good as the H&K releases, but I've gotten pretty good at using my trigger finger on it. My middle finger seems to work better on bigger guns. Given the small mag size, and the fact that the mags drop free very slowly, it's not a real fast reload for me anyway... But I often carry it with no spare mag, so it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5' 10" 170lbs, I carry full size 1911s in a milt sparks vmII and they hide really well. I always have my shirts tucked in too. I use the tuckable kydex clips

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast