Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 months of food for 5 adults 2 children

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

3 months of food for 5 adults 2 children

I'm looking at buying the Mountain House Ultimate Can system - 306 cans (http://www.ldpcampingfoods.com/Mountain_House_Cans.htm). They give you 25% of your purchase price back in credit and I would use that to purchase more #10 cans (I'm in no way affiliated with this site).

I like the #10 cans as they are more let sit and forget option than a lot of the other options out there. In addition we also have a fully stocked pond on our property and have a good 2-3 months of canned food we use and rotate through.

Since this is a significant investment, I want to make sure there are no other better options I am over looking. Also would like to know if anyone has seen any good black friday sales that would beat the above mentioned price. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have tried and have a great deal of that kind of food. I really like Wise Food. It tastes very good and the storage systems are very good. Their food buckets are very tuff, add an additional layer of protection, and stack well. They also have great deals going on all of the time. Call them and talk to them. They run all kinds of specials and will mail you a free sample to taste their stuff.

I have nothing to do with them. Just a very satisfied customer.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A good price for sure, just make sure that the particulars are what you want, these kits usually include a lot of breakfast and deserts. A quick glance showed 60 cans (maybe a typo on their website) of raspberry crumble. If you do go with this package and plan to use the 25% on more #10 cans, it may be best to invest that in more dinner options.

That said, I too took the Mountain House plunge a few years ago taking advantage of a similar deal. That kit will take up a LOT of room!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by masan; 11-24-15 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real talk though - that raspberry crumble is delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I have tried and have a great deal of that kind of food. I really like Wise Food. It tastes very good and the storage systems are very good. Their food buckets are very tuff, add an additional layer of protection, and stack well. They also have great deals going on all of the time. Call them and talk to them. They run all kinds of specials and will mail you a free sample to taste their stuff.

I have nothing to do with them. Just a very satisfied customer.
    I tried their sample; quite a few phone calls after pushing their products. Not a big deal overall, but fair warning.

Wasn't super impressed w/ the sample, but it IS dehydrated food ... if a bit salty. Forget the dish, it's been a few years.

That being said, I see mixed reviews; probably worth getting a few samples either way.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sight unseen for that kind of investment my concern would be with date of manufacture.

Some times good deals are off loading of dated product.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Mountain House makes great tasting food (except for the deserts, for some reason I don't like any of their deserts). Keep in mind two things WRT Mt House -

1) Most are high in sodium. Some newer meals are low, but most of the older ones are not. They aren't excessively high per serving, but if you increrase the service size (see #2 below), the sodium content may become a factor.

2) Low calorie count. A #10 can may have 10 servings, but that's 10 servings at roughly 250 to 300 calleries per serving. You'll need to figure on either more meals or some kind of supplement if you want to keep 2,000 calories per day (more if working hard or in an extreme environment).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Both good points. However in a SHTF situation you're likely to be exerting yourself more than usual and would likely need the additional sodium.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC6792 View Post
    Both good points. However in a SHTF situation you're likely to be exerting yourself more than usual and would likely need the additional sodium.
    Not that much sodium! We are talking heart attack levels in some. Read the labels carefully and then add it up to a "real" serving size. Like one MH packet is 2-4 servings and in reality it is barely one if that.

Wise black label is really good tasting and lower in sodium... relatively.

Feedback Score
    Wasn't really impressed with Wise...MH is better tasting to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast