Thread: Dexa Scan today.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Dexa Scan today.

That shit will make you want to cry.

Calipers give me a 8-9%

Dexa 173lb 12%, doh!

Good to get smacked in the face with reality sometimes, good motivator.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post

Calipers give me a 8-9%

Dexa 173lb 12%, doh!

Obviously your head is in the right place.

NO mashed potatoes, or gravy, or bread, or....for you! I plan on stuffing with a big ass salad followed with turkey meat sans skin and some low cal. gravy I made today. And then more turkey and gravy; and then some more.

Feedback Score
    12% is still pretty athletic. Nice work.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Calipers give me a 8-9%

Dexa 173lb 12%, doh!

Remember, calipers have a margin of error and DEXA more accurate, but does also have a margin of error. So, you may be lower by a % or 2 than DEXA suggests. The leaner one gets, the more the problem of margin of error becomes. There's a difference between say 6% and 9% (3% margin of error) but essentially none between 25% and 28%. BF/Body Comp measurements are simply not geared to be highly accurate in singe digit BF ranges. The only method that's dead on (pun intended) is autopsy, and I suspect you want to avid that method. I'd say, split the difference and assume you're approx 10%.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Remember, calipers have a margin of error and DEXA more accurate, but does also have a margin of error. So, you may be lower by a % or 2 than DEXA suggests. The leaner one gets, the more the problem of margin of error becomes. There's a difference between say 6% and 9% (3% margin of error) but essentially none between 25% and 28%. BF/Body Comp measurements are simply not geared to be highly accurate in singe digit BF ranges. The only method that's dead on (pun intended) is autopsy, and I suspect you want to avid that method. I'd say, split the difference and assume you're approx 10%.
    Ya, typically correct. This machine is the newest GE model, the older GE model had an error percentage of 2.1% when in the 8-15% range and they were just not very accurate in the sub 8%. Hydration levels could cause them to go wacky apparently. Took me awhile to find a place that had the newest, it has an error percentage of .6% in the 10-25% range and a 78% repeatability +/-.02 . Anything Sub 10% (and sub 8%) is still an issue for them.

The old ones use to be able to brake down fat percentages based on major body parts (Left arm/right arm/ Android), the new one breaks it down even further left upper arm, lower left arm, hand. Not sure how useful that is, but it is interesting.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ya, typically correct. This machine is the newest GE model, the older GE model had an error percentage of 2.1% when in the 8-15% range and they were just not very accurate in the sub 8%. Hydration levels could cause them to go wacky apparently. Took me awhile to find a place that had the newest, it has an error percentage of .6% in the 10-25% range and a 78% repeatability +/-.02 . Anything Sub 10% (and sub 8%) is still an issue for them.

The old ones use to be able to brake down fat percentages based on major body parts (Left arm/right arm/ Android), the new one breaks it down even further left upper arm, lower left arm, hand. Not sure how useful that is, but it is interesting.
    BIA can vary widely by hydration levels (on of several reasons I have no faith in BIA...) but have not heard of DEXA being impacted by hydration levels. As few people are in single digit BF ranges for testing and creating large data sets, and DEXA still based on formulas, it makes sense they'd still have issues with single digit BF levels and accuracy. Below 10-12% I don't pay much attention to the numbers (given the various issues already covered) and use changes in numbers as a measure of change vs absolute number. I have worked with pre contest pro BBers who has underwater method at major university labs come back at 0%, which is physiologically impossible. They bragged to their friends they "had no body fat at all"

Hence, at low BF %, I think it's mental masturbation to focus on the absolute number, and focus on changes as indicators of BC changes, along with other metrics, such as performance in the gym, mirror, clothes fit, weight, etc for the "big picture" and don't rely on any one of them.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    BIA can vary widely by hydration levels (on of several reasons I have no faith in BIA...) but have not heard of DEXA being impacted by hydration levels. As few people are in single digit BF ranges for testing and creating large data sets, and DEXA still based on formulas, it makes sense they'd still have issues with single digit BF levels and accuracy. Below 10-12% I don't pay much attention to the numbers (given the various issues already covered) and use changes in numbers as a measure of change vs absolute number. I have worked with pre contest pro BBers who has underwater method at major university labs come back at 0%, which is physiologically impossible. They bragged to their friends they "had no body fat at all"

Hence, at low BF %, I think it's mental masturbation to focus on the absolute number, and focus on changes as indicators of BC changes, along with other metrics, such as performance in the gym, mirror, clothes fit, weight, etc for the "big picture" and don't rely on any one of them.
    I was not aware of the hydration issues either until the technician brought it up, I always thought the hydration issues were only an issue with impedance devices.

If I can get to 10% with both methods that will be good enough for me. I'm not looking to go bellow that.
    Last edited by Digital_Damage; 11-28-15 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    I should get a dexa scan but I like to think I east healthy and get good exercise. I get a lot of exercise while hunting so that helps.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I thought the military's "tape test" was the most accurate....

I am reminded of the scene in Stripes where they are getting their uniforms...

"38? I wear a 36 and they are loose...."

Feedback Score
    My Doctor does a Dexa every 10 and blood work every five weeks. I'm able to make program changes and see the result pretty quickly. Finding this guy was a real stroke of luck for sure.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see"
    Ronald Reagan,1988
    Oathkeeper