Thread: 9MM Buffer CONFUSION

Feedback Score

Question 9MM Buffer CONFUSION

so I recently replied to someone's thread about how my 9MM AR (CMMG MK9 Pistol) didn't do so well with the cheaper 115gr FMJ ammo. it did not have enough "uumph" to cycle the bolt all the way back to were it would catch the next round out of the mag with enough force. The gun runs great with 124 grain FMJ ammo and the hotter stuff. In regards to people braking bolt catches due to over rearward travel of the bolt, I am finding that a lot of people are using either the stacked quarters with the standard length CMMG buffer or the spacer you can buy or they are buying the longer and heavier buffer and some are also getting a "heavier" spring. All of this is to reduce the rearward travel of the bolt so it doesn't slam into the bolt catch and possibly brake it and damage your lower. CMMG dose not use a longer Buffer OR a spacer for their 9mm AR pistol, just a slightly heavier one (5.3oz)

My question is, If we all used heavier buffers, put spacers in the tube and or used stronger springs to correct the over travel issue because of the shorter 9MM round wouldn't that make it even harder to get 115gr FMJ ammo to cycle the bolt far enough? it would have to, it has more resistance no matter witch way you decide to fix the over travel problem.

EDIT: I did contact CMMG about this and they said that they are using a thicker bolt catch so it is stronger. seems like a Band Aid fix to me.
    Last edited by U&A; 03-25-15 at 10:51.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    I'm using a 8.5 oz 9mm buffer from heheavybuffers.com and a wolf heavy buffer spring and it doesn't have any problems cycling 115 gr ammo.

Feedback Score
    ill have to try some better 115gr stuff. the stuff I tried is known for being on the weak side. I think I am going to have to use the spacer though. My bolt goes past the bolt catch by at least 1/2".
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    I use all kinds of cheap 115g 9m m ammo. No issues.

RRA 9mm buffer, and 7 quarters down the tube.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b7boostin View Post
    I use all kinds of cheap 115g 9m m ammo. No issues.

RRA 9mm buffer, and 7 quarters down the tube.

8 inch suppressed with the Qbuffer from heavybuffers.com. Cycles 115-147g just fine.

Feedback Score
    My LWD works fine with Winchester White Box, which I would guess is low energy, even when freezing cold and relatively dirty (500 plus rounds between cleanings).

I decided to listen to the tribal wisdom and start the rifle out with quarters installed. 3000 rounds later I see no issues with continuing to keep the quarters stacked. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    My LWD works fine with Winchester White Box, which I would guess is low energy, even when freezing cold and relatively dirty (500 plus rounds between cleanings).

I decided to listen to the tribal wisdom and start the rifle out with quarters installed. 3000 rounds later I see no issues with continuing to keep the quarters stacked. YMMV.
    How many quarters are you using?

I have a Voltor A5 with their standard buffer. It is cycling well but the BHO is locking the bolt open causing stoppages. I have a spike St9 buffer that is longer so I put that in tonight and added six quarters. I have a standard RE on the way. It should be here next week. I will run the Wolf heavy spring and Spikes ST9.
    Looking at my parts bin I am thinking about using the Spikes 9mm buffer. It is longer and heavier than the A5 I have.

w

Last edited by usmcvet; 02-19-16 at 20:01.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree