Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to purchase 1st AR platform. Prefer Gas vice DI... Recommendations?

Feedback Score
    I'll also suggest a BCM or DD. With BCM you have more you can choose from, you can really build to your own personal taste.
    Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
    I'll also suggest a BCM or DD. With BCM you have more you can choose from, you can really build to your own personal taste.
    Sigs use some of the same parts that BCM uses, Anchor Harvey and Brass Forgings upper blanks. If yall didnt know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    Sigs use some of the same parts that BCM uses, Anchor Harvey and Brass Forgings upper blanks. If yall didnt know.
    I was under the impression that BCM had been less than happy with the upper receiver supplier they were using, and switched to one that had tighter tolerance controls. I do know that my BCM upper fits it's lower rather poorly......not that it matters.

So, is Anchor Harvey & Brass Forgings the company they switched to?
    Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As many have already stated, in your price range, id go for a BCM build or, perhaps, a customized colt 6921 build (the latter being a distant second choice unless you are dying for an m4a1 style carbine etc). BCM is really hard to beat if you are in the 1000-1600 price range. If you start pushing towards 2000, there is a case to be made for going KAC, maybe.

As far as sig and BCM both using A.H. raw upper forgings, that's not really all that exciting. Though the raw forging definitely matters, its more about what happens after the raw forgings get dumped into a pile.

by the by, my multiple year old bcm upper and my brand new bcm upper both sport the AH mark.
    Last edited by joeyjoe; 12-01-15 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I would get this over the Colt these days - http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aero-ac-...ete-rifle.html
    Just another option.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Does Sig use the same quality control practices that BCM uses? Do they require the same machine tolerances before they label it a blem, or throw it away completely?

Quote Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
    I was under the impression that BCM had been less than happy with the upper receiver supplier they were using, and switched to one that had tighter tolerance controls.
    Yes. I'm sure that any manufacturer would prefer to buy accurately machined parts to minimize the cost of dealing with a unit with marginal specs.

Of course, that assumes that the manufacturer is testing all of those uppers, rather than just going ahead and assembling the rifle without spec-ing the parts, then passing the rifle as acceptable if, after assembly, it goes bang, most of the time.

Feedback Score
    And?

The few sig uppers ive seen were alright, but I wouldn't compare them to BCM.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Threads like this take me back to circa 2008.
    I'm not gonna lie, I am still intrigued by piston ARs, but mostly out of curiosity for how that particular manufacturer squared the circle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The colt OEM 6920s are a great barging also if you want to add your own furniture without paying for stuff you don't want. They're generally $730 ish

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    And that has nothing to do with anything.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast