Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Armorers: Recommend a solid torque wrench for the occasional builder?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Armorers: Recommend a solid torque wrench for the occasional builder?

I'm looking to build my first complete upper and I need a torque wrench that'll get the job done. I've done some research and the results vary, from "buy once, cry once" to "buy cheap and throw it away once it loses accuracy." Typically, I like to buy quality. However, I don't plan on building uppers on a regular basis and my occasional usage wouldn't justify the costs to keep it calibrated. So... I need a recommendation.

Again, I don't mind paying for quality. My concern is I'll never use it enough to get the money back out of it and of the on-going costs to keep it calibrated.

Any advice on the best bang for buck torque wrench?

Feedback Score
    Great question! A quality torque wrench has been on my mind as well. I could see maybe building 4 rifles with it.
    Hopefully someone with lots of experience can chime in.

Cheers
    Shannon

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I wish I could recommend one. I don't use them and simply rely on my feel and previous experience.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This has been asked dozens of times on M4C.

A torque wrench isn't "needed" to build an AR; every time I build one, "common sense" torque values get used.

Anyway, a torque wrench is a precision tool so ignore all the up & coming recommendations for the Harbor Freight garbage. You certainly don't need a Starrett or Snap On either. Drive to your nearest Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears & pick one up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    I bought a 1/2" drive Craftsman for when I need a torque wrench as an occasional user for AR and automotive stuff. Nothing fancy, just a $79.99 basically functional torque wrench that clicks off when the set torque is reached.

Honestly pawn shops are a great place to find good deals on tools like this.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 11-29-15 at 18:24.

Feedback Score
    Snap-On or CDI... I can't really recommend anything else because I'm a tool snob.

I would sooner use no torque wrench than a torque wrench from Harbor Freight.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 11-29-15 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I would just buy a cheap one if I were you. I think even a cheap POS would likely get you "close enough" to whatever torque specification you need for the purposes of putting together an AR. If you bought one from Home Depot or Lowes you should be good to go.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    In my opinion, a beam type torque wrench (in each size that one would be needed) should be the first torque wrench that's purchased by someone who's just learning to use a torque wrench. Beam type torque wrenches simply don't go out of calibration like a "clicker" type can due to mis-use. Also, the new mechanic can get a feel for a lot of different torque values by watching the pointer position along the scale on the beam type torque wrench while applying force to the handle. A good beam type torque wrench is also usually a lot less expensive than the good quality "clicker" types.

Click this link to see what a beam type torque wrench looks like: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-1...p-00903300000P

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You basically have two different types:

Click Type: Set the amount of torque required and it will "break" when desired amount has been achieved

Beam Type: has dial and chart on the bar and as you toque the needle shows what the current torque level is

Any torque wrench regardless of brand needs to be calibrated and/or serviced depending on use. No way around it. The lower end torque wrenches (harbor freight, craftsman) will need to be serviced more frequently as their fit and quality of springs/mechanisms are not as good as the higher end brands (matco, proto, snap on, etc.). That said for recreational use even with a low end wrench we are talking years before it needs servicing.

With that being said most wrenches are accurate right out of the box. There have numerous tests on various forums confirming that wrenchs from Harbort Freight, Sears, etc. are relatively accurate and will remain so with proper storage and light use.

Personally, I use a Harbor Freight for things that have a margin of error like suspension, chassis/frame components, etc. i have a vintage Proto that I use for engine/powertrain work and things that have incredibly strict specifications. Both are click type and I send them out to http://anglerepair.com about once every couple years to have them checked/calibrated. They also did the restoration work on my Proto, excellent turnaround time and very affordable.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 11-29-15 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    Maybe there is some secret I was not let in on but torque spec for the AR15 barrel nut is a pretty wide range so I don't see why accuracy is important. The main thing is making sure the gas tube fits unless you are using a nontraditional barrel nut.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast