Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please recommend a compact defense scope for a Ruger Gunsight Scout carbine

Feedback Score

Please recommend a compact defense scope for a Ruger Gunsight Scout carbine

I have this nice little bolt .308 carbine which I would like to use for defense and, possibly, for short-range hunting purposes. I'm planning to move the RDS over to an AR and replace it (on the Ruger Scout) with a compact scope.

I don't envision this for long-range precision, just wanting a compact, moderately priced scope that would be suitable for near- to mid-range defense or hunting.

Please make recommendations as I have no idea where to begin. Variable power? Illuminated? What power range? Good quality, but moderate price?

Feedback Score
    Burris Scout Scope.

Feedback Score
    Are you looking for something in the "scout" position, or are you going to use "regular" mounts?

If the former, then you need an extended eye relief scope... Basically, a handgun scope.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd be inclined to put a 1-6X LER scope on that rifle.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the comments. I am so new to rifle scopes that I don't know the advantages and disadvantages of going with the "scout" position vs. "regular" position.

If someone could help me understand that a little more, I'd really appreciate it. Would one vs. the other be generally better for my application (primarily home/property defense, possible mid-range hunting)?

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I am so new to rifle scopes that I don't know the advantages and disadvantages of going with the "scout" position vs. "regular" position.
    How did you wind up with a "scout" rifle without knowing what that meant?

Scout position pro:

1. The scope is out of the way of the action.

2. You won't get hit by the eyepiece when the rifle recoils.

3. It's easier to aim with both eyes open... though really, I think that's a function of the typically low magnification of extended-eye-relief scopes, more than a function of the position.

Scout position con:

1. Putting a heavy optic out over the barrel will make the rifle front heavy.

2. Most magnfied optics only have 3-4 inches of eye relief. "Eye relief" is how far your eye should be from the eyepiece.

If you're too far from the scope, then it'll be like looking through a narrow black tunnel. So, you're severely limiting your options for a magnfied optic if you're committed to putting it in the "scout" position.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    How did you wind up with a "scout" rifle without knowing what that meant?
    Zimmer. Thanks for the information.

As for your initial question:

My intent for the rifle was primarily defensive, thus I bought the rifle for its compact maneuverability, light weight, and caliber. These elements made good sense to me, as a compliment to having an AR.

As for the "Scout" in the name, it seemed to me that the term "scout" meant that it was designed to be light and compact for easy maneuverability and carrying. I didn't know that the name "Scout" may have referred to a position/type of scope mounting. As I said, I am new to the world of rifle scopes. Perhaps I should have researched that before buying the rifle, but its mine now and I just need some information to help me make a decision as to how I want to scope it.
    Last edited by DHart; 12-03-15 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Scout position pro:

1. The scope is out of the way of the action.

2. You won't get hit by the eyepiece when the rifle recoils.

3. It's easier to aim with both eyes open... though really, I think that's a function of the typically low magnification of extended-eye-relief scopes, more than a function of the position.

Scout position con:

1. Putting a heavy optic out over the barrel will make the rifle front heavy.

2. Most magnfied optics only have 3-4 inches of eye relief. "Eye relief" is how far your eye should be from the eyepiece.

If you're too far from the scope, then it'll be like looking through a narrow black tunnel. So, you're severely limiting your options for a magnfied optic if you're committed to putting it in the "scout" position.

Good info, which leads to more questions, of course!

-What are your leanings when considering going with "scout" position vs. "regular" position.

-Would there be "scout" position scope models which would minimize the cons?

-Would there be "regular" position scopes which would not be a problem for the action and have enough eye relief to keep from hitting the shooter during recoil?

Feedback Score
    It seemed to me that the term "scout" meant that it was designed to be light and compact for easy maneuverability and carrying.
    Google "Jeff Cooper Scout Rifle."

-What are your leanings when considering going with "scout" position vs. "regular" position.

-Would there be "scout" position scope models which would minimize the cons?

-Would there be "regular" position scopes which would not be a problem for the action and have enough eye relief to keep from hitting the shooter during recoil?
    1. "Regular" for me.

2. Yes, minimize, but not eliminate. There are good reasons that the "regular" position is so common, and the "scout" position so rare.

3. Yes, just be aware that more eye relief is better, especially if you wear glasses.

Look around, I bet you're not the first one to want to convert a Ruger "Scout" to a regular scope configuration...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by why1504 View Post
    Burris Scout Scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    I'd be inclined to put a 1-6X LER scope on that rifle.

Thanks, guys, I will look into those recommendations.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast