Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please recommend a compact scope for .308 carbine bolt gun...

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    As this Ruger is a carbine, not exactly a long-range 'sniper' rifle, I'm inclined to keep the RDS with it.

I've not much experience at longer ranges, would the Aimpoint H-1 on the Ruger GSR be a good combination for defense shooting up to 100 yds. or so?
    Yes, and I have tried a H1 on my GSR in the past with very positive results. However, you say that you intend this to be a SHTF type set-up. The GSR is purpose built to be a survival and self-defense rifle. In other words it'll put meat on your table and is fully capable of putting down potential threats. In that regard, I'd seriously consider something that has at least a little bit of magnification and a reticle. If your RDS takes a shit (yes, it can happen even with a proven optic like an Aimpoint), at least you'll have a reticle to work with. I would also strongly advise you to consider adding the XS Sightsystem rail I mentioned. It features a built-in rear sight aperture that you can use in the event your optics fail altogether. LPVOs are not regarded as "sniper" optics. Just my recommendation. Your gun, your choice.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Yes, and I have tried a H1 on my GSR in the past with very positive results. However, you say that you intend this to be a SHTF type set-up. The GSR is purpose built to be a survival and self-defense rifle. In other words it'll put meat on your table and is fully capable of putting down potential threats. In that regard, I'd seriously consider something that has at least a little bit of magnification and a reticle. If your RDS takes a shit (yes, it can happen even with a proven optic like an Aimpoint), at least you'll have a reticle to work with. I would also strongly advise you to consider adding the XS Sightsystem rail I mentioned. It features a built-in rear sight aperture that you can use in the event your optics fail altogether. LPVOs are not regarded as "sniper" optics. Just my recommendation. Your gun, your choice.
    Makes good sense. It would be easy to leave the H1 that's on it, on it. But a LPVO sounds like a nice step up from the H1. I do need to look into them.

Feedback Score
    Bushnell LRHS

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    If your RDS takes a shit (yes, it can happen even with a proven optic like an Aimpoint), at least you'll have a reticle to work with. I would also strongly advise you to consider adding the XS Sightsystem rail I mentioned. It features a built-in rear sight aperture that you can use in the event your optics fail altogether. LPVOs are not regarded as "sniper" optics. Just my recommendation. Your gun, your choice.
    Revisiting this good sense comment.

I'm beginning to think that something with a small amount of magnification (2x perhaps?) that combines a red dot, along with a reticle that is useable if the red dot fails, makes the most sense.

I've been scanning online retailers looking at RDS optics and there are a bazillion options out there. What would be some of the top choices with this capability, but sold at moderate prices ($200-$300)?
    Last edited by DHart; 12-09-15 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    Leupold FXII 2.5x20 scout scope, or Burris 2.75x scout scope.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123