Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend a compact scope for .308 carbine bolt gun...

Feedback Score

Please recommend a compact scope for .308 carbine bolt gun...

I don't know where to begin, as there are so many different available options and I don't know very much about scopes.

What I want is a compact, moderate-price, rifle scope for defense and possibly hunting use on this Ruger Gunsight Scout .308:

(I will be moving the RDS off the Scout and over to an AR)

I don't expect to be shooting this at long ranges, just close- to moderate-range distances.

Features I'm wondering about: llumination? Zoom range? Aperture? What brand/model offers excellent quality without spending a LOT of cash?

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    What are the targets, and what ranges? And do you plan on running it in the scout position, or over the receiver?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Leupy mk6 3-18
    Nightforce 2.5-10

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Leupy mk6 3-18
    Nightforce 2.5-10
    Won't work unless he puts another mount on it. With the scout mount he needs a LER scope.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I would run a MK6 1-6 with TMR-D. Put it in a LaRue SPR extended mount, with the mount backwards if you can't mount it on the receiver.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Won't work unless he puts another mount on it. With the scout mount he needs a LER scope.
    Um... not quite.

The Ruger GSR comes with 1" scope rings, so he can either run an optic with a 1" tube or spring for a larger set of rings. That said, if the OP decides against a LER scope, I'd recommend taking a look at the Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle mounted in the traditional way. I used it on my Ruger GSR and it worked great. The Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 Accu-Range is a good cost effective solution as well, made in the USA and backed by Leupold's lifetime warranty as an added bonus. Additionally, the OP could opt for the XS Sight Systems extended rail if he wants to retain the use of back-up iron sights. Personally, I think the GSR is a great host for either an RDS or an LPV optic.

"People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    What are the targets, and what ranges? And do you plan on running it in the scout position, or over the receiver?
    Inebriated... I'm thinking that the Ruger Gunsight Scout .308 will be, for me, a SHTF DEFENSE rifle in addition to my AR-15s. Something with harder hitting rounds that might be used at somewhat longer ranges than the AR. But nothing significantly LONG-range. I'm thinking a good defense rifle at, perhaps, 75-150 yards?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What is an LER scope? Sorry, I don't know some of these acronyms.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    What is an LER scope? Sorry, I don't know some of these acronyms.
    Long Eye Relief
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    I would run a MK6 1-6 with TMR-D. Put it in a LaRue SPR extended mount, with the mount backwards if you can't mount it on the receiver.

NongShim... thank you, but... what is a TMR-D? I'm trying to catch up with you guys and your acronyms!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast