Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend a compact scope for .308 carbine bolt gun...

Feedback Score
    You guys are so far beyond me when it comes to rifle scopes.... please bear with me as I try to catch up!

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    NongShim... thank you, but... what is a TMR-D? I'm trying to catch up with you guys and your acronyms!
    Leupold TMR-D (Tactical Milling Reticle - Delta):

"People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Um... not quite.

The Ruger GSR comes with 1" scope rings, so he can either run an optic with a 1" tube or spring for a larger set of rings. That said, if the OP decides against a LER scope, I'd recommend taking a look at the Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle mounted in the traditional way. I used it on my Ruger GSR and it worked great. The Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 Accu-Range is a good cost effective solution as well, made in the USA and backed by Leupold's lifetime warranty as an added bonus. Additionally, the OP could opt for the XS Sight Systems extended rail if he wants to retain the use of back-up iron sights. Personally, I think the GSR is a great host for either an RDS or an LPV optic.

Beautiful set-up, Boba Fett. I think that perhaps the RDS might be a good way to go, with my application, for this rifle. What is an LPV?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Beautiful set-up, Boba Fett. I think that perhaps the RDS might be a good way to go, with my application, for this rifle. What is an LPV?
    LPV or LPVO is a Low Power Variable Optic.

ETA: Typical LPVOs range from 1-4x thru 1-10x, 2-7x, 3-9x, 2.5-10x... typically not exceeding 10x power at the high end.
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 12-01-15 at 11:49.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yep. I concur, MK6 1-6 TMR-D, not that you needed my reassurance. The best part is the light weight, however, even at such low weight, it is solid as a rock.

Last edited by HKGuns; 11-30-15 at 22:07.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I saw it in the picture, but nobody has specifically mentioned the XS extended rail. I bought one for my scout rifle, and it has worked very well! It has an integrated rear sight so you still have irons, and extends the pic rail back over the receiver to allow a traditional scope to be mounted. I think you will be out 80 bucks or so for the rail, and it is worth it.

Feedback Score
    Steiner Tactical 1-5 with 308 BDC reticle.
    While I am generally not a fan of BDC type reticles for precision work/long range use this is a great scope.
    We are running the 1-5 5.56 on a few rifles and put a 308 version on my buddies 16" SOCOM
    He wanted something he could run CQB out to say 600
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input, guys. I've got a good start now in considering the options.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    NongShim... thank you, but... what is a TMR-D? I'm trying to catch up with you guys and your acronyms!
    edit : late to the party
    Last edited by the_1iviper; 12-01-15 at 22:00.

Feedback Score
    As this Ruger is a carbine, not exactly a long-range 'sniper' rifle, I'm inclined to keep the RDS with it.

I've not much experience at longer ranges, would the Aimpoint H-1 on the Ruger GSR be a good combination for defense shooting up to 100 yds. or so?
    Last edited by DHart; 12-01-15 at 22:19.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast