Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adding a 300 Blackout for Home Defense... what is the "sweet meat" approach to this?

Feedback Score
    If the lower is a marked and registered "pistol":

1) then does that remove the requirement to get a special stamp for a SBR, regardless of how short the barrel is?
    - yes, you can run short barrels on the pistol lower. You can NOT shoulder the weapon. There is a ton of data on this here so you may want to do a search especially on the sig brace.

Ah, yes. It sounded too good to be true... of course there is a 'catch'. I will research the 'sig brace'.

2) the completed weapon, regardless of barrel length, is classified as a pistol for CC or whatever other use?
    - Any barrel under 16". A pistol can become a rifle and go back to a pistol. A lower registered as a rifle can NOT become a pistol.

That the pistol can become a rifle, as well, is a nice benefit.

3) The only special "stamp" that might be required would be for the supressor (if one is employed)?
    - Correct

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    If the lower is a marked and registered "pistol":

1) then does that remove the requirement to get a special stamp for a SBR, regardless of how short the barrel is?
    - yes, you can run short barrels on the pistol lower. You can NOT shoulder the weapon. There is a ton of data on this here so you may want to do a search especially on the sig brace.

Ah, yes. It sounded too good to be true... of course there is a 'catch'. I will research the 'sig brace'.

2) the completed weapon, regardless of barrel length, is classified as a pistol for CC or whatever other use?
    - Any barrel under 16". A pistol can become a rifle and go back to a pistol. A lower registered as a rifle can NOT become a pistol.

That the pistol can become a rifle, as well, is a nice benefit.

3) The only special "stamp" that might be required would be for the supressor (if one is employed)?
    - Correct
    Some of that is not correct.

The fact that a lower receiver has "pistol" written on it is irrelevant. it's an "other" until which time it is built into a rifle, pistol, shotgun, or other-pistol grip firearm. Realistically, the lower receiver will be made into a pistol, other-pistol grip firearm, or a rifle.

Turning a pistol into a rifle makes the firearm into a rifle in the eyes of the ATF no matter what it was marked at when purchased. So technically you can't make it a pistol again. Would they ever know, probably not, but that information posted above is incorrect. The rule of thumb is that you can makes firearms "bigger" but not smaller. The exception is the Thompson Center since the supreme court said so. Everything else can't.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I don't know the quality of Aero Precision. Might be great. I do know that Spikes and Mega have them and both are good to go

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
    Some of that is not correct.

The fact that a lower receiver has "pistol" written on it is irrelevant. it's an "other" until which time it is built into a rifle, pistol, shotgun, or other-pistol grip firearm. Realistically, the lower receiver will be made into a pistol, other-pistol grip firearm, or a rifle.

Turning a pistol into a rifle makes the firearm into a rifle in the eyes of the ATF no matter what it was marked at when purchased. So technically you can't make it a pistol again. Would they ever know, probably not, but that information posted above is incorrect. The rule of thumb is that you can makes firearms "bigger" but not smaller. The exception is the Thompson Center since the supreme court said so. Everything else can't.
    EDIT:
    Per this write up over at Jerking the Trigger - http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/11...isconceptions/ you can go pistol to rifle and back to pistol. Clearly it requires additional research as the ATF doc he links to is slightly vague.
    Last edited by themonk; 12-04-15 at 20:33. Reason: Add correction

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't run .300 blackout for HD. Retains to much energy through walls and such. 75 gr tap out of my AR's for HD for now.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-10-15 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I wouldn't run .300 blackout for HD. Retains to much energy through walls and such. 75 gr tap out of my AR's for HD for now.
    They all do. The answer to the problem is not to miss.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Pretty much any defense round is going to retain a lot of energy through typical drywall. That's why accuracy is final, as they say.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234