Thread: The Search Function

Feedback Score

The Search Function

Is it possible to make the board sort search results in descending order starting with the most recent post?

I did a search on something for which there are a gazillion threads, and most of the ones going back six or seven years were no longer relevant.

Can't we have it so the most recent results show up first?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wish people used the damn thing in the first place. It's gotten so repetitive here lately.

"Which lube?"

Which charging handle?"

"Which torque wrench?"

"What's different with the KMR Alpha?"

Every one just wants to be spoon fed. I'd be tickled just to have our cute 'n fuzzy 'Orange Search Button' nazi back.

I think there might be a way to filter results from directly searching from Google. Not positive though.

And for those that don't know, typing a keyword followed by ", site:m4carbine.net" will yield results only from M4C.

Ex: Charging handle, site:m4carbine.net
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I wish people used the damn thing in the first place. It's gotten so repetitive here lately.

"Which lube?"

Which charging handle?"

"Which torque wrench?"

"What's different with the KMR Alpha?"

Every one just wants to be spoon fed. I'd be tickled just to have our cute 'n fuzzy 'Orange Search Button' nazi back.

I think there might be a way to filter results from directly searching from Google. Not positive though.

And for those that don't know, typing a keyword followed by ", site:m4carbine.net" will yield results only from M4C.

Ex: Charging handle, site:m4carbine.net
    I didn't know this...many don't. A lot of us aren't savvy computer users, and don't know a lot of tricks on how to do stuff, it aint that we want to be spoon fed. I know SOMETIMES that is the case tho. I miss the Orange search Button myself. Anytime yall can pass on tips & tricks on how to navigate and get around on here, please do so. Some of us didn't grow up with a keyboard/cellphone in our hands!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    The consensus on some products changes over time. If I want to find out if Gen 4 Glocks are GTG now, I don't need to read threads from several years ago unless those are the only threads available. I'd rather start with more recent posts and work my way backward if necessary.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Agree with Glockster. I search for things often, and most of what I find is in old archived threads. Granted, I usually find the answer I'm looking for, but it is nice to know when a company has fallen out of favor with the site, a particular ammo is no longer available, or a better product/workaround has come along.

Search is useful, but it could be more intuitive.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I didn't know this...many don't. A lot of us aren't savvy computer users, and don't know a lot of tricks on how to do stuff, it aint that we want to be spoon fed. I know SOMETIMES that is the case tho. I miss the Orange search Button myself. Anytime yall can pass on tips & tricks on how to navigate and get around on here, please do so. Some of us didn't grow up with a keyboard/cellphone in our hands!
    I actually learned that here on M4C. Since I'm on Tapatalk 99% of the time, and the search function on it blows, I always use the Google search trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    The consensus on some products changes over time. If I want to find out if Gen 4 Glocks are GTG now, I don't need to read threads from several years ago unless those are the only threads available. I'd rather start with more recent posts and work my way backward if necessary.
    I agree. It's one thing to request updated information and it's another to start a new thread when there's a current one already going. I personally don't mind it if someone bumps an old thread requesting new info.
    I'd rather have one thread on a subject with tons of info than 30 threads on the same subject. It's harder to find good info and the newer they are, the more it's filled with "do a search" posts or links to previous threads.
    The examples I gave, are ones recently that spent time on the front page together and/or were started days/weeks from each other.
    It's seems like it's mostly new members that think their problem or question is unique or they flat out don't bother to search and want to be spoon fed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    I always have trouble finding what I'm looking for using search on most forums