Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiss Arms SG 553 R (7.62x39)

Feedback Score

Swiss Arms SG 553 R (7.62x39)

I have the pistol version of the Swiss Arms SG 553 R in 7.62x39 on order. I really like my Sig 556 SBR, so this one should be fun too.

I'm told it should arrive around January. The gun shop that I'm purchasing it from will also have the buttstock available. I know that a good number of the pistol versions have been imported in 5.56x45 and made in to SBR's, so I'm wondering what everyone is using for compliance parts. Obviously I can use a US made AK magazine, but what about the US parts beyond that?
    http://www.swissarms.ch/en/sg-553-r-assault-rifle.php

BTW, I realize some will say that sec922(r) compliance parts are not required for SBR's and I agree according to the text of the law. However, the ATF in their infinite wisdom has more recently said otherwise, so I'm not looking to get in to that debate. I'm just wanting to know what those who are using compliance parts have installed.
    Last edited by Bret; 07-03-17 at 19:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ben at Gatewood Supply is able to get you up an running on the 5.56 guns. Not sure if the 7.62x39 guns are able to be 922r.

Is this your first Swiss Sig? If so, prepare to have your socks knocked off.

Feedback Score
    It is. I decided to get it because it's different enough (7.62x39, longer barrel, green stock set) from my 556 SBR that I could justify it. It would be really nice if I could just swap the trigger groups between the rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You will need five US parts if the flash hider is integral to the barrel, six if it is removable.

Your options for parts to replace:
    - Flash hider.
    - Bolt carrier (from 556). I assume that the standard 553 and the 553R use the same carrier.
    - Pistol grip. The furniture is green on these 553Rs, so matching may be tough or just paint. Can use a 556 pistol grip after modifying where it interfaces with the trigger guard. Or use a hogue.
    - Hammer (Shooting Sight)
    - Sear (Shooting Sight)
    - Trigger (556)
    - Mag body
    - Mag follower
    - Mag floorplate
    - Stock. Craptastic US made 556 stock vs. M4 stock adapter.

Of these I would swap the FCG parts and use US magazines, keeping the rest of the rifle Swiss.

Feedback Score
    JoshNC, What do you mean by "Shooting Sight" next to hammer and sear?

I definitely want to keep the stock set original.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link. If those work, perhaps just swapping the FCG between the SG 553 R and my 556 SBR will work. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Feedback Score
    "The expected delivery of the 553R pistol has been delayed from September to March 2017 due to a redesign to the magazine well and ejection port".
    https://www.sanswissarms.com/news.html

Bummer, I thought they were on the way. Oh well. I've learned patience when it comes to the SBR game. I'd much rather that they work out whatever issue there was than it have a problem when it gets here.

Feedback Score
    Delayed again until August and now until September. I'm patient knowing that they are getting the magazine well redesign right. On the bright side, perhaps the NFA backlog will be down significantly by the time they arrive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Delayed again until August and now until September. I'm patient knowing that they are getting the magazine well redesign right. On the bright side, perhaps the NFA backlog will be down significantly by the time they arrive.
    I suspect your patience will be rewarded. The Swiss are obsessive about quality, including with firearms. They won't put it out until it is perfect.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast