Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Magazines

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1 sport View Post
    The body's? Because the followers are different at least in the ones I have.
    lt, the bodies of the Colt magazines are all pretty much the same except there is a difference in how many holes are in the 7 rd and 8 rd magazines. There are also carbon steel and stainless steel bodies. The vendor code is on the base plate. M=Metalform, C=Checkmate, O=Okay Industries & G= McCormick. The "S" if present means the magazine is fabricated from stainless stee.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottl View Post
    I have actually seen this as a reply to magazines.

Over on 1911 forum there was this long discussion about Springfield magazines. This one feller said they was absolutely junk, Checkmates Junk, Wilson junk...blah blah blah you get the idea. This guy goes on to say he will only run Metalform 7 round mags in any of his 1911's. Would have been there to see his face when he read those junk Springfield mags he threw away(which is another rant) was made by Metalform.

Now for the other rant! If you aren't going to use those so called "junk" mags don't throw them away. Sell them. If you must have a Wilson or whatever selling two or three factory mags will get you the name brand you got to have. I would say the majority shoot on a budget and if they can pick up 2-3 mags for $30-$40 on these forums they will take them.
    I saw that thread. I was the one that said the Springfield 7 rounders that came with my trp operator were junk, and I stand behind it. They broke in one day at a class.

I have a pile of the kim-pro tac mags, they've worked good. And they work in a ria, trp operator and a Wilson cqb. That being said, my go to mags are the vickers Wilson mags now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I saw that thread. I was the one that said the Springfield 7 rounders that came with my trp operator were junk, and I stand behind it. They broke in one day at a class.

I have a pile of the kim-pro tac mags, they've worked good. And they work in a ria, trp operator and a Wilson cqb. That being said, my go to mags are the vickers Wilson mags now.

What was the mode of failure of the Springfield magazines? I've purchased some from the Springfield concession at Camp Perry and have no issues with any of them. I thought they looked a lot like Checkmate magazines.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
    What was the mode of failure of the Springfield magazines? I've purchased some from the Springfield concession at Camp Perry and have no issues with any of them. I thought they looked a lot like Checkmate magazines.
    Baseplates broke after a few reloads. They were dropped empty. One bent a feed lip, and they both gave me a failure to feed. The ftf was prior to the class, and I only ran a couple rounds through them before the class. After I noticed the feed lip, I quite using them at the class, I brought them only as backups anyways.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Baseplates broke after a few reloads. They were dropped empty. One bent a feed lip, and they both gave me a failure to feed. The ftf was prior to the class, and I only ran a couple rounds through them before the class. After I noticed the feed lip, I quite using them at the class, I brought them only as backups anyways.

I installed Pachmyr rubber baseplate bumpers on all the Springfield mags that I purchased and the ones that came with my wife's pistol. I have not had a single issue with any of them. I think it is prudent to install baseplate bumpers on any magazine that will be dropped during a speed reload - even if the mags are empty when dropped. I do not have baseplate bumpers on my carry mags in order to reduce the size of the mags. However, all my practice and competition mags do have baseplate bumpers. I don't know if that would have helped with your specific problems but it is a good practice in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    I use mecgar ,kimber and colt mags for my two 1911.... just had a failure with colt mags...but i was shooting reload ammo...the error can be my....

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The majority of my .45acp mags are Wilson tubes and Tripp 7 round guts. I have a few Springfield and Colt oem tubes and they also run Tripp internals.

My 9mm mags are metalform 9 round mags.

EGW higher mag releases in all my 1911s appear to have resolved ammo sensitivity.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 02-22-17 at 11:14.

Feedback Score
    Multiple 47ds and ETMs by Wilson. Never had an issue out of any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I prefer MFG mags, on my SA 1911 i just stuck with them and no FTF or issues what so ever.

Feedback Score
    I thought my wife was going to give me a hard time over spending some coin on ETM's - until I showed her one of the Colt magazines that came with my new Gold Cup. The follower would only compress about 1/3 of the way down the mag body, with a horrible screeching noise to go with it.

And Brownells had them on sale, too.
    Last edited by Spurholder; 03-10-17 at 21:49.
    Shut up, row well, and live.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast