Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legalities of Using a SBR as a Pistol.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    .... and again, the ATF has been known to write contradictory 'letters'. As long as the OP can fully educate the local Sheriff in the State where he gets questioned, I suppose go for it. If that Sheriff calls ATF and gets a different 'letter writer' things could get uncomfortable.

I would want my own personal letter addressed to me from the ATF on hand. Especially in light of current events.

Feedback Score
    And if you don't have the pieces with you, the question shouldn't even come up.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you never a see a LEO the question shouldn't come up. The point is, what if the question does come up by any means. I wouldn't want my defense to be... "Well I read part of letter that was supposedly written by ATF to someone else on the Internet"

If it's ok, how easy would it be to simply get your own letter. The problem is, people don't like to get ATF letters because it's a crap shoot. Then you letter on file that says no you can't do it. It's not a matter of getting caught. It's a matter of easily and accurately showing someone that may not know anything about the nuanced rules that you are in the right.

Again, this is just my take on it. Better safe than sorry because AFT seems to have a fluid set of right and wrong regarding letters and FAQs and they will always take second chair to actual wording and definitions in the laws.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Most everything he posted is DIRECTLY found on the BATF website. Thousands of people see it and read it. People overthink the NFA stuff way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    If you never a see a LEO the question shouldn't come up. The point is, what if the question does come up by any means. I wouldn't want my defense to be... "Well I read part of letter that was supposedly written by ATF to someone else on the Internet"

If it's ok, how easy would it be to simply get your own letter. The problem is, people don't like to get ATF letters because it's a crap shoot. Then you letter on file that says no you can't do it. It's not a matter of getting caught. It's a matter of easily and accurately showing someone that may not know anything about the nuanced rules that you are in the right.

Again, this is just my take on it. Better safe than sorry because AFT seems to have a fluid set of right and wrong regarding letters and FAQs and they will always take second chair to actual wording and definitions in the laws.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Over thinking it started with simply not building a simple pistol lower for the purpose in the first place.

4 of those questions deal with transfer not transport. I don't think any use the word pistol.

All I'm saying is that the ATF, for as much as they write, do not make things perfectly clear. Otherwise people would not forever be asking the questions. I simply would not want to be on the answering questions side of a situation where a LEO of any sort has over thought the situation. That is the scenario presented by the OP.

Why not spend $150 and build a pistol lower and be done with it all? Then no one has to think at all.
    Last edited by tb-av; 12-09-15 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    ....double

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    4 of those questions deal with transfer not transport. I don't think any use the word pistol.
    They deal with the classification of the weapon based on configuration. That's what matters whether you're taking about transfer or transportation. To quote one of my favorite t-shirts: "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you". So, I'm not going to try anymore.

But, yes, a separate pistol-configured lower is the easiest route.

Feedback Score
    Sounds to me that the only clear answer is to do the travel paperwork before you go out of town with it and just have a pistol lower to use if you don't want to do the paperwork. As an LEO, I know how much time some officers take on simple calls/traffic stops; I can't imagine the inconvenience that it would cause if you got one of "those" officers trying to figure out and answer NFA questions on the side of the road. Our department works closely with all of the federal agencies so a quick phone call would clear things up(hopefully). But smaller departments without that option would probably rather just keep you and your NFA stuff until they figured it out. In my experience, trying to operate outside of the black and white, is more trouble than it is worth.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    They deal with the classification of the weapon based on configuration. That's what matters whether you're taking about transfer or transportation. To quote one of my favorite t-shirts: "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you". So, I'm not going to try anymore.
    You don't need to understand it for me. I totally get it. I know exactly what you are saying. Again my point is the that the the scenario listed is something along the lines of..

A member of Trust that has a pistol/NFA SBR and has been detained by LEO, AND doesn't really know what the rules are AND won't have anyone to explain it to them much less present an understanding. It reads like Murphy's Law and Darwin are going to have lunch, no matter how legally permissible and easily understood it might be.

I have a trust member that has a CZ EVO Scorpion and wants to SBR It.
    with the intention of carrying pistol across State lines on a somewhat regular basis where paperwork would be a PITA.

Again... I get it... I wouldn't do it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dm_graham308 View Post
    Sounds to me that the only clear answer is to do the travel paperwork before you go out of town with it and just have a pistol lower to use if you don't want to do the paperwork. As an LEO, I know how much time some officers take on simple calls/traffic stops; I can't imagine the inconvenience that it would cause if you got one of "those" officers trying to figure out and answer NFA questions on the side of the road. Our department works closely with all of the federal agencies so a quick phone call would clear things up(hopefully). But smaller departments without that option would probably rather just keep you and your NFA stuff until they figured it out. In my experience, trying to operate outside of the black and white, is more trouble than it is worth.
    I agree, and is why I have AR pistol lowers to go with my AR SBRs.... however the firearm in question is the CZ Scorpion.

I've missed using my 300blk SBR on a hog hunt out of state because the ATF lost my paperwork for taking it out of state. This prompted me to embrace the AR pistol option. Unfortunately with the Scorpion the trustee in my trust can't just buy a $50.00 blank lower.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast