Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Traditional Hunting Calibers in AR-Anyone Using?

Feedback Score

More Traditional Hunting Calibers in AR-Anyone Using?

After a quick search I find a few manufactures offering "more traditional" "hunting" cals: .243, .270, .25-06, .30-06 and more in the AR platform.

Anyone using "other" cals for hunting, and if so, care to share your brand info, pros and cons from experience?

I know nothing about their use or even if they are still being mfg'd, just doing some initial reference.

Ammo selection/price is broader in some of these other cals.

Thanks..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ammo selection broader than .308????

Many good .308 based options: 7mm08, 260, 243 (not my favorite), etc.

65 Creedmore is another good pick.

But if I went to the AR-10 platform, I'd probably stick with .308/7.62 NATO.

The longer (270, 280, 30/06) cases do not offer much ballistic advantage except in very heavy bullet weights. I've not seen any ARs based on them. Maybe they exist, but certainly not mainstream

To me the big advantage of ARs is handling and lightness. 6.5 Grendel let's me keep that AR15 form factor, yet is still very effective at longer ranges (and short). So if I get the urge to hunt with an AR, its Grendel time. Multiple excellent loadings, and reasonably priced. And easy to reload for.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Long action cases are not compatible with the 308 AR platform, end of story. No LR-308 or AR-10 is chambered in these as they do not fit in the mag. Hence the use of 308, or one of its variants, from 243 win to 338 federal.

I would stick with 308 for any barrel length 20" or below. The 6.5 variants are also very versatile and flatter shooting than the 308 but really need a 22" or longer barrel.

Perhaps the best choice of all for most use is the 6.5 or 6.8 AR-15 cartridges. Much lighter and more compact than a large frame AR.

Feedback Score
    Evidently there are some manufacturers going the .243 wssm route , which would seem to offer some advantages. But the it also does have some of the short magnum drawbacks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    While it's not "traditional" I bought into the .450 Bushmaster platform last fall. In Northern Michigan we are allowed to use rifle cartridges for deer hunting. In the lower, more populated part of the state we have been restricted to shotgun use. Last year they opened up the shotgun zone to other centerfire "pistol" type cartridges. The .450 Bushmaster fits into the parameters that they outlined. I'm using a 16" upper and using Hornady factory ammo. It's a big bullet that moves pretty fast for it's size. My ten year old son and I were both successful with the cartridge this past season.
    There is a 450bushmaster forum that has a lot of information if you choose to look into it further.
    Last edited by sva01; 02-05-16 at 07:11.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I went the 6.5 grendel route as it is picking up more support through different manufactures. It keeps the .223/5.56 accesories, as there are an abundance of options, light weight, can do long and short range duty, less recoil than a .308 and cheaper to shoot so shooting sessions can go longer. Got my first deer with it just last year. A nice 9 pt. At about 15-20 yards. Bullet was a hornady 123 sst and went through the right rear just under the tenderloin and passed through to the front left armpit where the bullet lodged in the shoulder meat. Very little damage done and could hardly see the entrance wound. Was very impressed as I mostly hunt with a .308 NEF survival single shot rifle. Too much incompatibility among parts in the .308 AR game.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    If you want larger than .308 you will have to look at the nemo options https://nemoarms.com/rifles/

Feedback Score
    When I was looking for my most recent AR purchase (specifically for hunting, deer, goats, prairie dogs, etc.) I was hung up on the .308, that is until I hefted one. Wow, it was heavy, sans magazine, ammunition, scope etc.. Having said that, the AR I looked at was run of the mill and I've heard/read many of the upper tier are in fact lighter. After the .308 idea was shelved, I started looking strictly at ballistics and the more I read the more convinced I was that 6.8SPC (277 diameter .270-caliber bullet) was the way to go. Same light weight AR, and a nice, easy, shooting round with maybe a touch more recoil. I also read somewhere it was possible to fire form the 6.8 to .243, not exactly sure how that process works, though (simple minded as I am)!

Best wishes in your quest.

Feedback Score
    .243 would be packaged in an ar10 variant. That disqualifies it from the race for me on an ar platform. 6.8 is packaged on the ar15 platform. 6.5 Grendel is also ar15 platform. I love the .243 and wish it could fit on an ar15 platform. My grandads 243 was passed down to me and I took my first deer and hogs with it.

6.8- ar15 platform (lighter faster than ar10 platform).
    -larger diameter hole than 243/6.5
    -more energy than 6.5 out to 300 yds all other variables equal (barrel length, weather conditions, shot placement etc)
    -lots of factory ammo choices.
    - developed for use in 12-16 inch bbl
    -has more bullet drop than 6.5 Grendel and .243 (con)

6.5 Grendel-
    -optimized for 20-24 inch barrels.
    -Better ballistics beyond 300 yds than 6.8 (more energy at longer distances and less bullet drop)
    - hornady 123 grain factory ammo widely available and is great for deer and hogs.
    - "inferior ballistics" compared to 6.8 at ranges less than 300 yds is going to be negligible 99% of the time. Meaning that a good shot on a 200 lb hog at 100 yds is gonna be a dead hog with little or no tracking either way with a 6.8 or a 6.5 Grendel.

For me, 99% of my shots will be within 250 yards. I like shorter faster lighter if it still delivers on the ballistic end. And the abundance of factory ammo pointed me in the direction of the 6.8.

If I was a reloader, who hunted mostly from blinds or shot mostly from the bench at 250-400 yards, I would have probably gone with a 6.5 Grendel in 20-24 inch bbl.

Plus like I said I have a bolt .243 for over 300 yd shooting and have plenty of ammo choices for that.
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    One option...( along with .25 wssm)...........

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398...wssm-24-barrel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast