Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbass move of the day: stripped hex head bolt on my DD slim keymod `

Feedback Score
    If you can tap a Torx bit of a certain size into the stripped hole that will bite very well or Dremel an X for a Phillips bit or - for a straight bladed bit then you are on your way.
    Make sure you have a good bite.
    Go to a drill press and chuck the selected bit into it and put downward pressure into the problem fastener.
    This takes two people or three hands.
    Heat the stripped fastener if Loktite is used, lower the bit into the stripped fastener with good pressure so it will not slip out, rotate the drill press chuck by hand at the same time as pressure into the fastener to remove it.
    DO NOT, DO NOT turn the motor on of the drill press.
    Use hands only.
    This has been done to remove broken or stripped fasteners for a very long time without harming anything.

The drill press keeps pressure of the fitted bit into the stripped fastener.
    When we try to remove the same with your hands the bit rotates or pops out due to not being able to keep enough pressure or force to overcome the torque to remove the said fastener.

A drill press is your friend.
    A friend with a drill press is your friend

Clarence
    Lija 4 groove AR24 1:8 twist
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle trigger
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Last time I stripped a hex bolt I filled it with epoxy inserted the hex screw let it set over night the unscrewed it the next day.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Mon and friday

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AM-15 View Post
    If you can tap a Torx bit of a certain size into the stripped hole that will bite very well or Dremel an X for a Phillips bit or - for a straight bladed bit then you are on your way.
    Make sure you have a good bite.
    Go to a drill press and chuck the selected bit into it and put downward pressure into the problem fastener.
    This takes two people or three hands.
    Heat the stripped fastener if Loktite is used, lower the bit into the stripped fastener with good pressure so it will not slip out, rotate the drill press chuck by hand at the same time as pressure into the fastener to remove it.
    DO NOT, DO NOT turn the motor on of the drill press.
    Use hands only.
    This has been done to remove broken or stripped fasteners for a very long time without harming anything.

The drill press keeps pressure of the fitted bit into the stripped fastener.
    When we try to remove the same with your hands the bit rotates or pops out due to not being able to keep enough pressure or force to overcome the torque to remove the said fastener.

A drill press is your friend.
    A friend with a drill press is your friend

Clarence
    Or use an impact screwdriver.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    You only have ONE shot using an impact device, either it breaks loose or the bit breaks or the stripped fastener strips out more.
    Not to mention what the other side of said hand guard will look like after a hefty whack with a hammer.

When I stated using a drill press WITH OUT TURNING THE MOTOR ON is exactly why you do not use a impact driver.
    The impact driver only rotates the fastener a very small degree, if it breaks loose but does not continue in rotation as using a drill press with consistant pressure and you rotating it with your hands.

Drill press is the safest and easiest method that I know of.
    YMMV

Clarence
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    This thread is a perfect example of why internet advice should be ignored for the most part! A lot of future "Hall Of Shame" advice here. "A drill press" Either you didn't read the OP's post or you don't have a clue. Take your pick.

Feedback Score
    GH41;

Do you know what a drill press is and what it is able to do and all of it's features ?
    I did not think so.
    I read the OP's post but yet no pictures so I have to go by what I believe he is talking about and yes, my answer is still the same.
    Use a drill press IN THE MANNER THAT I DESCRIBED, not what you think I described.

OP, please bring your rifle to me and I will remove the said stripped fastener for free.
    If I mess anything up I will pay for any damage.

This is so easy.

Clarence
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I am tired of the back and forth with you guys that cannot even visualize what the OP's problem is. See you later. Hacks will be hacks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I am tired of the back and forth with you guys that cannot even visualize what the OP's problem is. See you later. Hacks will be hacks!
    "visualize" / perspective...

No pic's...

GH41
    Come to my machine shop and will show you things that most cannot imagine what can be done thinking outside the box

Clarence
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Dumbass move of the day: stripped hex head bolt on my DD slim keymod `

I am assuming this is the rail and that it's one of those 4 hex bolts that screw in towards or away from the receiver. If so, good luck! Those look difficult to get at with standard tools. My usual "go-to" is a torx bit in these situations. I have a torx wrench that looks like an Allan key (L shaped). That might be your best option in this case.

Also, depending on how it would work out, it looks like you could drill the head of the bolt off and use a vice and some grips to get the rest of the bolt out. Both pieces the bolt goes through will not be threaded (only one), so if you drill the head off, the rail should come apart. Either way you need a new bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The FNG; 12-19-15 at 20:21.
    It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast