Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: You have until Dec 21 to register your Drone

Feedback Score

You have until Dec 21 to register your Drone

Drone...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...20mass%20email

Looks like over 1/2 a pound, which believe it or not the govt defines as two sticks of butter in their FAQ page.

Look for the Anti's to say that if we have to register drones, why can't we register all the guns...

Registration is required for small unmanned aircraft (UAS) weighing more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) and less than 55 pounds (approx. 25 kilograms).
    Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors.
    Owners may register through a web-based system at www.faa.gov/uas/registration.
    Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft.
    Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years.
    The normal registration fee is $5, but in an effort to encourage as many people as possible to register quickly, the FAA is waiving this fee for the first 30 days (from Dec. 21, 2015 to Jan 20, 2016).
    And some examples:
    http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/...gistration.pdf

So it looks like true toys will not have to be registered, but the even mid size ones will.

Lots of fun living in a hole and not knowing that your RC plane isn't a registered weapon of mass distraction-

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

Q: What is the penalty for failing to register?
    A: Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.
    Ouch, you might as well put a suppressor on it...

And the next step is to close the 0.55 pound loop-hole exemption.

Q. Is there a citizenship requirement?
    A. Only United States citizens can register their small UAS. The certificate serves as a certificate of ownership for non-citizens, not a registration certificate.
    RACISTS!!!!!

Q. If a drone crashes in my yard what do I do?
    A. Call local law enforcement.
    UHMMM, that ups the stakes on my rc plane getting blown like it did earlier this year! They going to start cordoning off areas and calling in SWAT?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    LOL. Thanks for the heads-up. Not sure what good it will do as it will only be useful to government after-the-fact, but I'll register.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Please correct me.

I was under the impression that:

Drone: autonomous flight
    RC-Aircraft: under operator control

What am I missing here?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Please correct me.

I was under the impression that:

Drone: autonomous flight
    RC-Aircraft: under operator control

What am I missing here?
    I dont believe you are missing anything. The clowns writing these laws, however do seem to be missing something.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    You have until Dec 21 to register your....Drone...
    Uh,

Registration is required for small unmanned aircraft (UAS) weighing more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) and less than 55 pounds (approx. 25 kilograms).
    Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors.

Feedback Score
    I haven't delved into it. I think it is any remote or self controlled aircraft over .55lbs. The ones they show that are exempt are exempt because of their low weight, not because it is non-autonomous.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I meet for coffee with a few retired guys 5 days a week. Three of them are pilots who have been discussing drones for as long as I can remember. All of them abhor unnecessary regulation of anything, motor vehicles, firearms, etc. A week does not pass without one of them mentioning a near collision between a drone and an aircraft in the process taking off or landing.

As with anything else that has the propensity for taking human life when misused by irresponsible individuals, regulation of the device is not unexpected. This would apply to motor vehicles or any other potentially hazardous device.

You can thank those who found it amusing to fly drones near flying aircraft for increased regulations. They are primarily responsible for new regulations that would not otherwise be required.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-14-15 at 18:45.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Next: register your guns we need to identify gun owners too

Feedback Score
    in 3 years can see the well its now $150
    the next 3 years will be $250 to register
    and after that $500 and we decided you need to go to have a special pilots lic and doctors approval

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    in 3 years can see the well its now $150
    the next 3 years will be $250 to register
    and after that $500 and we decided you need to go to have a special pilots lic and doctors approval
    You're onto something there.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast