Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ear Protection

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1Steve View Post
    What is everyone using and liking?

I'm looking for something <$60. Ordered some Howard Leight Impact Sports on Amazon due to the raving reviews... They were dogsh!t. Poor seal, lots of electronic feedback, and poor suppression. Returned.

Right now I'm using some cheap $12 muffs on top of ear plugs, but would like to consolidate. I'd stick with plugs alone, but they don't ever seal well in my left ear - go figure.
    Sounds like you may have gotten a bad pair or maybe even a pair that wasn't genuine. Every pair of Impact Sports that I have used has been worth every bit of the $50-60 that I paid for them. I have worn them in classes under normal circumstances, and with obnoxious AR and AK brakes on either side of me. They worked well for me under those conditions, but they were not purchased from Amazon.

I ordered a couple pairs off of Amazon recently to give as gifts. I will see what the recipients have to say after they use them, and have them compare them to mine if need be. I suppose that your head shape could also be a factor?
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I use Impact Sport doubled up with earplugs. I turn the electronics to max volume which makes things sound like normal through the earplugs. The foam cups on the Impact Sports are stiff and don't conform well to my head. If I tilt my head, sometimes I lose a bit of the seal, but that's why I also have earplugs. Works very well for me. Only problem is the electronics cutoff all the sound when it detects a loud noise. So, you can't really hear a conversation while there's shooting going on. Then again, these only cost me $35 and work very well for hearing verbal range commands before the shooting starts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro
    Excellent for cost. Room for bigger ears, good seal, no delay after noise suppression in returning to normal hearing.
    Around $52 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R-01.../dp/B007BGSI5U
    Last edited by mpom; 12-17-15 at 19:02. Reason: Added link

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    Sounds like you may have gotten a bad pair or maybe even a pair that wasn't genuine. Every pair of Impact Sports that I have used has been worth every bit of the $50-60 that I paid for them. I have worn them in classes under normal circumstances, and with obnoxious AR and AK brakes on either side of me. They worked well for me under those conditions, but they were not purchased from Amazon.

I ordered a couple pairs off of Amazon recently to give as gifts. I will see what the recipients have to say after they use them, and have them compare them to mine if need be. I suppose that your head shape could also be a factor?
    I actually bought two pairs, and both were exactly the same. Returned both. Head shape normal, lol. No more Howard Leight for me.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I have a the Howard Leigh Impact Sport muffs. I like them for handgun shooting but I can not get a good cheek weld on my carbine without having the seal of the muff broken so I use plugs when shooting the carbine. Frankly I don't see how anyone can get get a good cheek weld and sight alignment shooting a carbine with muffs. Am I doing something wrong.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchTheWorldBern View Post
    No experience with them because I run Comtac IIIs, but Peltor Tactical Sport 100s seem to be well liked:

$67 on amazon right now. Upgrade to gel seals down the road.
    Yep, about $55 on Amazon. They work great, comfortable, hearing instruction and convo is great compared to non-electronic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just started using Walker's Silencer Electronic Ear Buds, and I really like them so far. I also have the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ear muffs, but I found that the seal around my ears would break when I used my normal cheek weld on my AR.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Comtac III ... have never looked back once I discovered them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12