Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First SBR -- 11.5" lightweight middy

Feedback Score

First SBR -- 11.5" lightweight middy

The idea behind this build was for a fighting/2A purpose carbine that would still be handy with my (still in jail) Silencerco Omega attached. I originally had a PSA 12" CHF FN upper set aside for this project. The thing is, I really hate gov't profile barrels. I am a big fan of lightweight barrels for most rifles for their weight and handling qualities, and I particularly wanted to avoid a needlessly muzzle-heavy setup for a rifle that will already have a can hanging off it most of the time. I thought about a BCM upper with the 11.5" ELW barrel, which is pretty much exactly what I like as far as barrel profile, but then I heard about Faxon's new 11.5" middy Big Gunner barrel. I had previously bought a 16" middy Gunner barrel from them, and was very impressed with the quality. Black River Tactical ran a Halloween sale on them for $149, and it sealed the deal.

I put the Faxon barrel on an Aero Precision upper with a SLR Sentry 6 adjustable gas block under a BCM KMR-A 10" handguard. My SBR lower is a PSA with an Anderson LPK, Black Rain trigger, and PSA stock kit with 7075 receiver extension, H2 buffer, and ACS-L stock and PSA overmolded grip. I added a KAC 2-600 rear sight, MBUS Gen 2 front sight, and Aimpoint Comp M4. The only thing it lacks is the muzzle device -- I ordered a bunch of Silencerco suppressor mounts for this and several other rifles from L.A. Police Gear back in September, and it turned out they are on back order. Still no word on when they might have them. I'm getting real close to canceling that order and going through somebody else. The only thing keeping me from it is that I don't really need them until the can gets here. Anyway, I just put an A2 FH from the parts bin on it for the time being.

Well, I definitely met my goal of making this thing light and handy. It weighs right at 7 lbs. unloaded, with optics. Between the lightweight barrel and handguard, the front end is ridiculously light and maneuverable. Noticeably better than the 12" PSA upper I was originally going to use. It balances toward the rear of the mag well. The Omega suppressor I have on the way is light enough that this will still be a very handy setup suppressed, and should be about the same length as a regular 16" carbine. Exactly what I wanted.

This barrel has a 0.110" gas port. It is designed to be run with an adjustable gas block. I am looking forward to getting to the range and getting it all tuned. I really like the SLR gas block and its click adjustments. It will make it very easy to go from suppressed to unsuppressed settings.
    Last edited by henschman; 12-19-15 at 11:23.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

First SBR -- 11.5" lightweight middy

I think that's the first time I've ever seen different BUIS on the same rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Let us know how it runs. I'm especially interested since it's a mid-length gas on an 11.5" bbl.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Really? I don't think I have any rifles with matching sets. It makes sense to spend extra on a nice rear sight if you want some additional feature like adjustable elevation or something, but it doesn't make sense to buy the equally pricy front sight that goes with it, when it doesn't do anything the cheap MBUS 2 doesn't do, and probably isn't even as durable. Oh boy, it folds and has adjustable elevation with 4 clicks per rotation, just like every front sight in existence. I use the MBUS 2 for all my rail mounted front sights.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Let us know how it runs. I'm especially interested since it's a mid-length gas on an 11.5" bbl.
    Will do.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    Really? I don't think I have any rifles with matching sets. It makes sense to spend extra on a nice rear sight if you want some additional feature like adjustable elevation or something, but it doesn't make sense to buy the equally pricy front sight that goes with it, when it doesn't do anything the cheap MBUS 2 doesn't do, and probably isn't even as durable. Oh boy, it folds and has adjustable elevation with 4 clicks per rotation, just like every front sight in existence. I use the MBUS 2 for all my rail mounted front sights.
    Holy hell, someone sensible. I'm sorry if you wanna fit in you're gonna need to learn how to justify outlandish purchases, and stop bringing logic to the Internet.

Nice build though.

Feedback Score
    Good thinking on the MBUS pro/no pro sight combo. I like that.

FaxonNathan Guest
    We had to save a photo of the rifle. Good looking machine!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Really? I have that set up on 4 uppers

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Really? I have that set up on 4 uppers
    When both of the sights are folding, yeah. Never noticed it done before. It drives an OCD part of me crazy haha.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice stick! Keep us updated with how she shoots. I also am interested in hearing how the middy sbr works.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast