Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding on first AR10 - .308

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Need help deciding on first AR10 - .308

Hello,

I need help deciding on my first .308 AR10 rifle. I already have a Daniel Defense M4A1 in 5.56 and a BCM Recce 5.56 rifle so I am exploring a .308 for a multi-purpose/hunting/battle/SHTF rifle. Some of the companies I've researched are: Daniel Defense, Sig Sauer, Armalite and Primary Weapons System.

Some questions below:

1. Has anyone shot the new Daniel Defense DDM5 7.62x51/.308 rifle?

2. Looking at the Sig Sauer 716 rifle. Anyone has an opinion on them?

3. Primary Weapons Systems MK214 .308 gas piston AR10. Any thoughts?

4. So #2 and #3 above are gas piston vs. traditional direct impingement. I've seen youtube videos on piston vs. DI and is it worth the money? Is it a better system overall?

5. Any thoughts on Armalite's .308 rifle and it's quality? Specifically the AR10 A series low profile carbine?

Thanks,
    pilot

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is your budget? I haven't shot any of these but I've heard the sig has a horrible trigger. PWS makes some quality stuff. I just picked up an lwrc repr and it's incredible. There are more knowledgable folks here than me, so you might get some better answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Under $3k if possible. I thought about that LWRC Repr. Interesting the charging handle is on the side. I assume it accepts Pmags as well?
    How do you like gas pistion vs. Direct impingement?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...nd-a-DD5V1-yet

There's quite a bit of .308 info on this board. You shouldn't have any trouble finding reams of information, especially at the $3K mark where you start getting into higher end models. Various models have been well reviewed. Best of luck in your search.

Feedback Score
    I saw that thread also. Good info. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotranger View Post
    Under $3k if possible. I thought about that LWRC Repr. Interesting the charging handle is on the side. I assume it accepts Pmags as well?
    How do you like gas pistion vs. Direct impingement?
    I prefer Gas piston. It is slightly less accurate than Direct Impingement supposedly, but it is more reliable. Like Nick said, there is lots of information on the board.

Here is a start: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=1327457

Feedback Score
    I have an ArmaLite carbine. It's been a very good rifle. I've mentioned in other threads that mine, anyway, the FCG pins tend to walk. Which is easily remedied with the KNS set. Aside from that, it's a 2moa thumper. Never had a malf that wasn't induced. Accuracy wise, it prefers heavier ammo. I think for the money, ArmaLite is about the best deal going. I think you can get into their DEF10 series for around a grand.

I've handled an LWRC REPR, and own one of their 5.56 rifles. Piston/DI argument aside, they are very nice. You'll never get a consensus on the P vs DI argument...it's my opinion that both have their merits without either one being "bad". I own both, and seriously doubt any bad guy on the business end of either would know the difference if things ever broke bad for you.

All I know about PWS is I've not heard anything bad. Ever.

Get ready to break out your wallet my friend...nothing is cheap for the "big block" rifles. I want to say the DD Lite rail for my ArmaLite was just shy of $400...that was in 2008 IIRC.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and opinions. I'm sure others will have different.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a LMT MWS and absolutely love it. However it's heavy... like almost 10lbs empty heavy and has a monolithic rail that may or may not be a huge deal. It shoots accurately and has the barrel modularity system, you can swap calibers and barrel lengths. It's often known as the poor man's SR25 so I guess that's not completely a bad thing. It fits your price range and is a proven weapon system.

With that said, if you don't mind using proprietary magazines... the HK762 wouldn't be a bad option either. They're in the low $3k area and are very accurate. They've been good to Ze Germans in the form of the G28. Haven't read a bad thing about them and if I wasn't so invested in my LMT, that would be the rifle to replace it. Nothing wrong with some of the options thrown out there but wanted to give you some variety.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    I have a LMT MWS and absolutely love it. However it's heavy... like almost 10lbs empty heavy and has a monolithic rail that may or may not be a huge deal. It shoots accurately and has the barrel modularity system, you can swap calibers and barrel lengths. It's often known as the poor man's SR25 so I guess that's not completely a bad thing. It fits your price range and is a proven weapon system.

With that said, if you don't mind using proprietary magazines... the HK762 wouldn't be a bad option either. They're in the low $3k area and are very accurate. They've been good to Ze Germans in the form of the G28. Haven't read a bad thing about them and if I wasn't so invested in my LMT, that would be the rifle to replace it. Nothing wrong with some of the options thrown out there but wanted to give you some variety.
    LMT is another I've never heard bad things about, really. The mono upper being more of a personal choice type of thing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    LMT is another I've never heard bad things about, really. The mono upper being more of a personal choice type of thing.

Yeah I get you. The Brits use them and there's not much to complain about other than the mono rail and weight. I'm hoping to send it to someone to dimple the barrel and mill the sides to a similar set up as a URX but we'll see. Got 7 more months on this deployment before I get back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast