Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My GPC

Feedback Score
    I will be building another ar15 for sure. As for weather or not I'll get back into the AK game; while I love the AK the ar15 is just plain out superior. It's far more ergonomic, it's got far more accuracy potential, contrary to popular belief the ar15 is more reliable then the AK. That's not too say the AK doesn't have it's advantages, the 7.62x39 fairs far better out of a short barrel by comparison. It's cheaper along with ammo cost. I am planning on building a retro ar15 SBR next.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by E.H. View Post
    I will be building another ar15 for sure. As for weather or not I'll get back into the AK game; while I love the AK the ar15 is just plain out superior. It's far more ergonomic, it's got far more accuracy potential, contrary to popular belief the ar15 is more reliable then the AK. That's not too say the AK doesn't have it's advantages, the 7.62x39 fairs far better out of a short barrel by comparison. It's cheaper along with ammo cost. I am planning on building a retro ar15 SBR next.
    A retro SBR? What in the name of Mike is that? A wooden stick AR Stoner with a short barrel??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score

This is the inspiration. I don't want to create anything particularly historically accurate but to me this is the definition of a KISS carbine. It started cause I wanted a SBR with a fixed carry handle. I didn't want to use an a2 upper as the sight adjustments would be thrown off by the shorter sight radius. After I settled on the a1 or earlier upper everything else just kinda came together in my head.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice looking rifle. Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug.... Congrats on build number 1!
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by E.H. View Post

This is the inspiration. I don't want to create anything particularly historically accurate but to me this is the definition of a KISS carbine. It started cause I wanted a SBR with a fixed carry handle. I didn't want to use an a2 upper as the sight adjustments would be thrown off by the shorter sight radius. After I settled on the a1 or earlier upper everything else just kinda came together in my head.
    I said "wooden stick" but I meant "wooden STOCK" lol.. I like your inspiration. That reminds me of the last weapon I had assigned to me in the Army. There is a lot to be said for keeping things simple. Hopefully you'll be able to get started soon on it - I'd like to know how you come out in the end - budget wise. I'm going to be posting pics of my 2nd build I just completed and what my final cost was because it was considerably less than my first AR.
    Also before I forget, I have noticed as I was finishing up that last build that I had a hard time finding parts. Specifically I had a hard time finding an upper and LPK. So you may want to start hitting your LGS and see if they are having issues with inventory. I also use Anderson - I think they make good quality lowers and uppers. Unfortunately they are out of stock on about every lower including the 80's.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Nice looking rifle. Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug.... Congrats on build number 1!
    That bug is no respecter of person is it? I know it bit me...My next build will be an AR-10/308.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Where are you located, I live about an hour outside of Austin and last I've seen there are plenty of ar15 parts including receivers in my area.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I live about an hour outside of Austin as well... north. Now I haven't gone over to Killeen/Ft. Hood to check any LGS's there. I'm about 20-25 minutes from Ft. Hood. I have mainly been looking online - Anderson Arms, DSG Arms, Primary Arms, even Cheaper than Dirt.. They do have some parts, but they are usually on the very high end. You have a few LGS's in your area?
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I live in Kempner, TX. Quantico tactical in Killeen and Par guns in Copperas cove both had plenty of parts last I was in there. That was the beginning of January.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Howdy neighbor! I'm in Temple. I have visited Par Guns before. Great guy that runs that shop. I went to buy a Glock and spent 2 hours shooting the breeze. One thing they do that I really like are Prepper Classes. They will have a class on how to can food (using Mason jars) and other Prepper/survival related classes. I have never been to Quantico Tac, but I've heard really good things about it.
    You might want to give them a call and see how they are sitting - just before I posted my last comment I looked at a couple of sites and they were still OOS on a lot of parts.
    Hey is there a good range down in that area? I have a good friend, LEO, that just did a comp in Cove. I'm going to go next time, he told me that it is a great tool for tactical training. Shooting from cover, slicing the pie etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast