Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend 2 pistols; big and small

Feedback Score
    A Walther PPQ and a PPS would be my first choices, second would be would be a Sig P226 and a P239 DA/SA with de-cocker . The Walthers you could get new in your budget the Sig would have to be used to stay in budget.

Glock is an option too, I just don't like how they fit my hand so I am not familiar with the models

Feedback Score
    Glock 17 and 26 or Sig P320 Full Size and Sub Compact. I lean to the Sigs.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut12 View Post
    I'm currently pistol less. Looking to get two. One will be designated for concealed carry. I'm thinking something small (no bigger than a xds) but not too small and no smaller than 9mm. I had a M&P compact (wanted one gun to do it all) for a while and it was a good all around gun but it was a little big for my tastes for concealed carry. I'm leaning towards a 9mm shield. Cheap, reliable, small, and gets the job done.

The second one will be a range/possibly home defense. Preferably cheap to feed. All steel would be preferred but it's not that big of a deal to me. I'm leaning towards a cz75 or maybe even a FN 9... I've always wanted a sa/da gun but striker fired or sao is also an option, just no dao.

I'd like to keep it at around 1200 for the pair. That's not set in stone but don't want to go much over. Just looking for opinions.
    If you like CZ's and all metal guns, take a look at the SP01 Tactical and the P01 compact. The SP01 is probably more expensive than what you are looking for, but it might be worth a look nonetheless.
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    Some options I would consider in your position:
    Small
    -Shield 9mm
    -Glock 43 although I personally don't like it
    -PPS M2 when it comes out, I don't like the current PPS
    -Springfield EMP 9mm even though it is probably outside of your budget and I foresee many naysayers on here, I like it a lot and in the limited time I had with one it worked flawlessly in all aspects

Big
    -CZ P-09
    -CZ SP-01 Shadow series
    -SIG P320
    -SIG P226
    -Glock 17/34/MOS versions of each
    -Walther PPQ
    -Walther P99
    -IWI Jericho 941

Of the big ones, the P-09, P320, or Walthers would be my choice. The CZ steel frames are outclassed by the P-09/P-07 in my opinion. The 941 is included mainly because it is a CZ clone that is all steel and from the ones I have seen they tend to have slightly better triggers out of the box than the steel frame non-shadow series CZ's. I think there are better options than Glocks. I didn't include the VP9 because I feel the P320 and PPQ are similar but better in some aspects, and likewise with S&W M&P's with the Glocks. A decent Beretta obliterates your budget so I didn't include one.
    Last edited by teutonicpolymer; 12-29-15 at 02:07.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have five CZ pistols, and many other by Beretta, HK, Ruger, etc but I have the most from CZ, and have been very happy with them. For the larger pistol as others have said a 75B, SP-01 etc would be my choice. I prefer the ergos, grips, general feel of the all metal CZ pistols whether they be all steel or the aluminum alloy framed guns like the PCR or P-01 which I also own.

For the small pistol any of the single stack 9MM's will suffice, but I would lean towards the PPS. FWIW, I carry a single stack Polish P-83 in 9x18 IWB, appendix carry, and it disappears. I forget I have it on.

Feedback Score
    Do you own any other pistols?

I'd recommend a g19 for a main do it all gun, and a shield or g43 for deep concealment/dress clothes. Maybe a pps if you find a great deal.

If your getting into shooting, you need a lot of mags and support gear and there is plenty for all the above. Then buy a few cases of 9mm and get to work. You can also budget in a wml like a tlr1 or x300ultra, some ameriglo or trijicon sights, and a stack of targets, maybe some steel if you have a place you can shoot steel at.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-29-15 at 07:34.

Feedback Score
    I want to ask a question do we really think if we are in dress clothes or shorts, the gun fight will be any different than if we are in jeans?

Small guns are harder to shoot, harder to reload, and carry less ammo.

Yes I know about the rule of 3 for gun fights in the USA 3 feet, 3 seconds, 3 shots are the average.

But what if your gun fight isn't average?

I have carried a full sized pistol concealed in the ME, Africa, and the USA. I have carried in places where if you are made it isn't an embarrassment or a ticket, it is slow death.

I carried either a Hi Power, Glock 17 or CZ 75 and I never got made.

If you go down to a small pistol because you think the odds are so small that you will need a pistol, it fine to carry a small pistol. Then I say don't even carry a pistol, it is much more comfortable.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For 1200, if you find a store with some nice gen 3 used guns you may be able to find 3 Glocks for pretty close to that. The Glock Family is hard to beat. 17, 19, 26 with the Glock 17 mags working in the the 19 and 26. saves money on getting extra mags that are not interchangeable. The 43 works great for a deep concealment weapon as well.

Feedback Score
    Shield 9mm and Glock 17/19

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Using your criteria I'd go with either a G17/43 combo or a G19/43 combo. I'm carrying a G19 with an extra mag most everyday. Even during the summer and I have no issues. I have a G43 but I haven't had time to thoroughly vet it yet. If I were to carry the 43 I'd also have to carry at least another mag to equal the number of rounds as one mag for my G19. At this point the 43 may end up in my wife's purse. She likes it and shoots it fairly well. We will see what happens with it

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast