Thread: help choosing scope

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

help choosing scope

I recently built a precision AR. 20 " 223 wylde barrel, billet upper lower, magpul UBR stock, etc...
    Rifle is extremely accurate. Will shoot 1/2 groups no problem if i do my part. I will use the rifle for hunting and some long distance precision shooting. I have 2 scopes already and im trying to figure out which one you guys would use in this rifle. I have a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 illuminated reticle and a Vortex Viper 4-16x44. I love both scopes but want some opinions. The rifle will be used for precision shooting from 100yds out to probly 800 yds. Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Either will do just fine for what you will be using it for. Especially if you already have both of them, so cost is not an issue. I would prefer the Vortex personally for the lower bottom end magnification and the fact that neither of them would be maxed out at that range. 20x is seriously overkill for that range, unless you are self spotting.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    Either will do just fine for what you will be using it for. Especially if you already have both of them, so cost is not an issue. I would prefer the Vortex personally for the lower bottom end magnification and the fact that neither of them would be maxed out at that range. 20x is seriously overkill for that range, unless you are self spotting.
    Thanks the reply. Yeah i was kinda leaning toward the vortex for the same reason. Its also a little bit lighter weight.

Feedback Score
    I have NF 2.5-10x42. It's sufficient for 800 yards. Pay once cry once.