Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want a Streamlight TLR-6 for your S&W Shield? You might be able to get one soon...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Has anyone run this yet?

I'd love a light on my 26, but I've yet to see anyone mention running one the same way they would an X300 or XC1. I'm mainly curious about how the switch actually lends itself to frequent, predominantly momentary-only use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    elaborate. i'm curious for the specific application of this tiny gun.
    I will bite. These are reasons for me to have a light on concealed carry handgun, even if not for Glock 43.

Putting a deer down after customizing the front end of my truck at night- like when your headlights are vaporized into 1000 pieces.
    It is dark or at least low light 8-12 hours a day.
    Sometimes the lights go off, like the 2013 blackout that shutoff those lights for a third of the US population.
    Light on my gun means I also have a light for the most serious crisis I hope I will never face.

And for the record, I haven't gone looking for trouble since I was paid to do so by the government. That was 15 years ago for me, but I have also seen all kinds of trouble come to people who were not seeking it. My Grandma had a Walther .25. Would that be my first choice for me? Nope. Does a pocket .25 beat strong words? Yes.
    If facing a life and death situation, I see all sorts of reasons to have options when trouble finds me.

Maybe the line of questioning about how many rounds are necessary for self protection deserves its own thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    I'd love a light on my 26, but I've yet to see anyone mention running one the same way they would an X300 or XC1. I'm mainly curious about how the switch actually lends itself to frequent, predominantly momentary-only use.
    Long reach to the switch, but the switch is ambidextrous.
    It is a click on-off switch. Momentary is sort of doable by depressing and holding. I wish it had momentary, but I assume the ambo switch element prevents that.
    The secret sauce is the trigger guard mounting without a rail, coupled with an impressively small size.

The TLR6 is a compromise, but the assessment for my situation is that it offers an enhanced series of options with limited trade offs. My guess is the TLR6 will spur additional more refined products but this is a pretty useful innovation nonetheless.

I wish Glock would add an accessory rail to G26 dust cover... Not holding my breath for that.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Long reach to the switch, but the switch is ambidextrous.
    It is a click on-off switch. Momentary is sort of doable by depressing and holding. I wish it had momentary, but I assume the ambo switch element prevents that.
    The secret sauce is the trigger guard mounting without a rail, coupled with an impressively small size.

The TLR6 is a compromise, but the assessment for my situation is that it offers an enhanced series of options with limited trade offs. My guess is the TLR6 will spur additional more refined products but this is a pretty useful innovation nonetheless.

I wish Glock would add an accessory rail to G26 dust cover... Not holding my breath for that.
    Thanks for the input.

Yeah, the UI itself seems usable to me, with the quick press being constant and a longer press being momentary, I just have been curious about the positioning of the button and all that. I'm definitely onboard with the attachment method and overall form, and I do agree, it offers options without any real negatives. I'll probably pull the trigger tomorrow and see how I like it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    I will bite. These are reasons for me to have a light on concealed carry handgun, even if not for Glock 43.

Putting a deer down after customizing the front end of my truck at night- like when your headlights are vaporized into 1000 pieces.
    It is dark or at least low light 8-12 hours a day.
    Sometimes the lights go off, like the 2013 blackout that shutoff those lights for a third of the US population.
    Light on my gun means I also have a light for the most serious crisis I hope I will never face.

And for the record, I haven't gone looking for trouble since I was paid to do so by the government. That was 15 years ago for me, but I have also seen all kinds of trouble come to people who were not seeking it. My Grandma had a Walther .25. Would that be my first choice for me? Nope. Does a pocket .25 beat strong words? Yes.
    If facing a life and death situation, I see all sorts of reasons to have options when trouble finds me.

Maybe the line of questioning about how many rounds are necessary for self protection deserves its own thread.

i'm not saying that the gun is not worthy of being carried. i'm comparing it to a snub nose revolver, which has to be the market the g43 is in. there isn't a huge market for lights on snub nose revolvers is there? the case for gut busters and boot guns is that you use them as the last ditch. if you're already being attacked, you shoot. there's no need for target identification because it's clear and close. if you have it as a backup gun and your primary went down or was taken from you, the threat is close and identified.

i wouldn't use this gun to go looking for trouble. if there were a dark place with unknowns, i wouldn't go in with the g43, i also don't think that's what this gun was made for.

for your specific scenario of putting down a deer in the dark, does the light really have to be on your gun? that's a non emergent situation. you could accomplish that with a headlamp and the gun and every car should have a head lamp in it.

my argument is for all the emergent situations that this gun would legitimately be the most useful tool, lighting is a smaller factor.
    for real work, this gun can't be a primary use choice. this gun is the other option.
    Last edited by trinydex; 04-30-16 at 01:09.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    i'm not saying that the gun is not worthy of being carried. i'm comparing it to a snub nose revolver, which has to be the market the g43 is in. there isn't a huge market for lights on snub nose revolvers is there? the case for gut busters and boot guns is that you use them as the last ditch. if you're already being attacked, you shoot. there's no need for target identification because it's clear and close. if you have it as a backup gun and your primary went down or was taken from you, the threat is close and identified.

i wouldn't use this gun to go looking for trouble. if there were a dark place with unknowns, i wouldn't go in with the g43, i also don't think that's what this gun was made for.

for your specific scenario of putting down a deer in the dark, does the light really have to be on your gun? that's a non emergent situation. you could accomplish that with a headlamp and the gun and every car should have a head lamp in it.

my argument is for all the emergent situations that this gun would legitimately be the most useful tool, lighting is a smaller factor.
    for real work, this gun can't be a primary use choice. this gun is the other option.
    The 43 is accurate at distances beyond contact distances, simple as that.

You're only limiting yourself by relegating it to being a "gut buster".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is where you fail (in addition to your continuous lack capitalization). Your viewpoint of this gun is so extremely narrow that it's skewing any practical & rational thought. You're acting like this is some sort of 25ACP Derringer or something. It's a single stack 9mm & it's capable doing what other 9mm pistols are capable of. Some things even better, like concealment. Some things like mag capacity, not so much. It's a trade off.
    If it's not for you, don't get one. There's obviously a large enough market out there that disagrees with your viewpoint on it.
    If you need a painted picture, how about an active shooter situation in a movie theater? Dark, crowded, chaotic. Any gun would come in pretty handy right now to stop the BG. It'd be even handier equipped with a laser/light, including a G43 with a TLR6 mounted.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    The 43 is accurate at distances beyond contact distances, simple as that.

You're only limiting yourself by relegating it to being a "gut buster".
    i'm not saying it's not accurate. that was not at all my point with all the factors i cited. it is similar to a snub nosed revolver (also not inaccurate at extended distances). what i'm saying is the primary use of such a gun precludes the use of a light. there's very few scenarios where a light and laser would be necessary for the primary use of this weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    This is where you fail (in addition to your continuous lack capitalization). Your viewpoint of this gun is so extremely narrow that it's skewing any practical & rational thought. You're acting like this is some sort of 25ACP Derringer or something. It's a single stack 9mm & it's capable doing what other 9mm pistols are capable of. Some things even better, like concealment. Some things like mag capacity, not so much. It's a trade off.
    If it's not for you, don't get one. There's obviously a large enough market out there that disagrees with your viewpoint on it.
    If you need a painted picture, how about an active shooter situation in a movie theater? Dark, crowded, chaotic. Any gun would come in pretty handy right now to stop the BG. It'd be even handier equipped with a laser/light, including a G43 with a TLR6 mounted.
    my viewpoint is as narrow as i defined it and you have actually not yet presented anything that suggests the g43 is not in the snub nosed revolver category of use. this is not a derringer in 25 acp, that's not a snub nosed revolver. this is not about me getting one of these. if i had a use for such a weapon i would already have one. if i had one, i would not be getting a light for it.

let me paint you a picture. in a theater shooting scenario, you would not want to use a light. the threat has already identified himself. there is no need to light him for identification. all lighting does it identify you as his problem that deserves all his attention. yes, there will be muzzle flashes when you pop off at him, but that's a lot more subtle than 150 lumens before you start engaging.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    i'm not saying it's not accurate. that was not at all my point with all the factors i cited. it is similar to a snub nosed revolver (also not inaccurate at extended distances). what i'm saying is the primary use of such a gun precludes the use of a light. there's very few scenarios where a light and laser would be necessary for the primary use of this weapon.
    For many people, this is the only gun they'll have on them. Being able to run it the same way they would a full-sized duty gun is a benefit, especially considering that there's no bulk added for the capability.

I can think of a number of situations where the light is beneficial on a 43, and I'm sure you can think of a number of rebuttals. Point is, it's a tool in the toolbox with zero downsides.
    Last edited by Uprange41; 05-01-16 at 04:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

my viewpoint is as narrow as i defined it and you have actually not yet presented anything that suggests the g43 is not in the snub nosed revolver category of use. this is not a derringer in 25 acp, that's not a snub nosed revolver. this is not about me getting one of these. if i had a use for such a weapon i would already have one. if i had one, i would not be getting a light for it.

let me paint you a picture. in a theater shooting scenario, you would not want to use a light. the threat has already identified himself. there is no need to light him for identification. all lighting does it identify you as his problem that deserves all his attention. yes, there will be muzzle flashes when you pop off at him, but that's a lot more subtle than 150 lumens before you start engaging.
    You are the one stating that its "primary use would be for immediate defense, a gut buster if you will". You are the one stating that as fact, not me. You have failed to prove your statement that suggests the 43 is nothing BUT a "gut buster". The onus is on you, not us. A Derringer is more of a "gut buster" or "boot gun" than a 43 is. You saying that a Derringer is not a "snub nose revolver", well, neither is a 43. In fact, I don't consider them competing in the same market at all. One being a revolver, the other being SA & having a barrel that's almost twice is long than an average snub nose. Sharing a similar round capacity doesn't mean they share the same market.
    You're already back pedaling about it being used at distances. And if it can be used at distances, a light and/or laser is justifiable.
    The 43 is no different than any other other 9mm Glock, other than it being more compact. These are carry guns, if a light/laser can be used on a G19 or G26 or M&P Shield, or anything else for that matter, it can be used on the 43.

BTW, your reasoning for saying why there isn't a huge market for lights on "snub noses" is ridiculous. There's grip lasers for many models, which kills your "gut buster" only theory. The design isn't exactly conducive for mounting WMLs, which is why people who carry "snub nose revolvers" have been known to use handheld lights.

i'm a little confused with these products. the glock 43 has a magazine capacity of less than a 1911 (as if that were possible). it would appear the primary use for this gun is immediate defense, a gut buster if you will (although revolvers are better for actual gut insertion and discharge without possibility of jamming).

that being the case, why does this type of gun need a light or laser? i would never go hunting or searching for trouble if all i had was a g43.
    Last edited by Ryno12; 05-01-16 at 07:09.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast