Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 AAC-SD w/ 16.5" .308?!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    Any yea or nea votes for the more expensive short or long action Rem 700's, ie, the LTR or XCR models? Do they generally do better with acccuracy than the lower end models?
    Like was said the 5r guns seem to get decent write ups, but for me, Remington bolt guns just arent up to speed on a lot of stuff and their quality is iffy. 223 bolt guns with 12 twist? Got to get the 5r to get a 9 twist. Every good bullet in 223 that I would personally want to shoot needs a 7 twist, or at LEAST an 8 twist. 308's that mostly all have 12 twist, 5r has 11.25 twist(optimized for 175g SMK), AAC-SD has 10 twist(but samples I know were sketchy). There are guys shooting 208g AMAX out of 308 loaded real long(single loading) at almost 3", but needs 10 twist barrel.

So if you buy a gun($600+) to use the action(some times cheaper than buying a factory Rem 700 action, if you can find one that is), spend $150 on a nice 20moa base(badger comes to mind), spend money on a good stock(400-1000 bucks) then spend $300 to get action work done, then spend $300 on a new barrel(if your remington barrel doesnt shoot) plus $300-500 for barrel fitting, chamber, re-finishing, threading, etc... and you STILL have a Rem 700 action, you start to come REAL close to buying something in a Defiance or Stiller action. Ive seen Defiance barreled actions with Brux or Bartlein barrels and a trigger going for ~$2k. Resale value on the "custom" actions is always going to exceed a worked over factory Rem 700 action.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there. Point being, if you want a dedicated long range precision gun, your money is better spent on something not factory than getting a Rem 700(in any flavor) and getting it built up to your specs. Just my opinion there. Plus 223 and 308 arent the hot ticket in long range shooting anymore either. 6mm and 6.5mm flavors are whats in right now(im sure 223 and 308 will come back in favor though).

As far as the truck gun/brush gun/200 yard 308 gun, I would look at the Mossberg MVP as I believe it uses a few different types of magazines. Or the Ruger Gunsight scout.
    Last edited by rjacobs; 01-01-16 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for what you are thinking. If you are talking deer hunting with normal shots being 200 yards or less? That rifle is more the capable. I've owned one of the 20" and 16.5", have a couple of friends who have them as well. The weak spot on the rifle is the stock, but if you are shooting off hand or not really loading the bipod you shouldn't have any problems with the hogue stock.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mine shoots lights out with 168 federal gold medal match ammo..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wish I had bought mine in 300 blk; I wouldve form 1'ed it and had the barrel chopped to 8 or 9" and inletted my HS Precision stock to fit the can. A 16" .308 with a brake and no can sucks, even for the shooter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    I wish I had bought mine in 300 blk; I wouldve form 1'ed it and had the barrel chopped to 8 or 9" and inletted my HS Precision stock to fit the can. A 16" .308 with a brake and no can sucks, even for the shooter.
    Now that sounds like a handy deer slayer.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    We have experienced good accuracy with the 168 and 174 grain ammunition out of this Remington 700 SPS with the 16.5" barrel. I put some pics up on instagram that had nice clover leaf groups shot at 100 yards. That is upsetting to hear that a guy got a lemon of a gun from Remington and they don't even stand buy it.
    This is part II in a series. Be sure and catch part one to see it work at 800.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    No doubt they can shoot well...if you get one that works. I believe Greg Bell, one of the mods here had one, and his shot cloverleafs at 100 yards too.

I'm just not about to pay $650 and be up the river without a paddle again...five moa. Give me a ****ing break. I can shoot a Glock 19 with an RMR at 100 yards better than 5 moa. They told me because it is a "primarily a hunting rifle" that 5 MOA is acceptable. I told him at 300 yards that's 15 inches and that was the first time I've ever heard someone shrug over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by damcv62 View Post
    Now that sounds like a handy deer slayer.
    It certainly does. Why the heck didn't I think of that?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks for the heads up Eurodriver. I was considering "cloning" this buddies build but felt uneasy about the costs benefit. This is why I cherish this forum and tell others to join. I fully trust the experiences and opinions of many M4C members like yourself.

At this point I would rather save up buy a good barrel and action, and have Tim Cronin put it together for me. We'll see. Thanks for saving me a headache.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I almost bought a 20" Rem 700 AAC-SD .308 a few weeks ago, but the Hogue Overmold stock pushed me away. That thing is ridiculously flimsy. Instead I left with a 20" 5R .308 with an HS Precision stock... I had a hard time spending what I did, but I know I got a MUCH better rifle. This thing is stupid accurate!

I put a Timney 510 in it and it might be the perfect rifle for what I was looking for.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 01-06-16 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    My 16.5" R700 in .308 shot for shit with the factory stock (2-3 MOA). I put a B&C Tactical Medalist stock on it, and made sure the barrel was free-floated. I threw a Timmny 510 trigger in it at the same time and now I can get 1-2MOA groups with Remington 150gr Core-Lok and .5-.75MOA groups with my hand loaded 175gr SMK/GMK rounds. I guess I lucked out and got a non-friday afternoon made gun. The gun is stock otherwise.
    I am not an expert, nor do I play one on the internet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast