Thread: Got my first real steel plate ordered.

Feedback Score

Got my first real steel plate ordered.

Found out my wife ordered me the gong I have been asking for. The issue is I am trying to find a portable frame to set it in. All the ones I can find are up there in price. I think it would be cheaper to just make my own out of some gas pipe and fittings or out of a sawhorse kit using 2x4s. I am open to other idea someone may have. Below is the size plate and info I am start out with and I am planning on buying a few more in the next few months.

3/8 AR500 steel plate

Size is 8 x12

weight: not listed

Two 1/2 holes drilled unpainted.

http://www.xsteeltargets.com/38-isis-target-p/38gft.htm

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Miller target systems is what I use. I'm on my cell so it's not easy to get you a link but they make some pretty solid portable set ups.

Feedback Score
    I have an 8" round one from the same guys. I hang mine from rebar that is bent into an upside down "U" shoved into the ground. I've found out that hanging plates works best when the distance down is short (keeps swinging to a minimum) and using two separate hangers(one for each hole) keeps them from twisting.

Sent from my buckeye using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I made mine out of black iron plumbing pipe and some fittings. Everything unscrews so it breaks down for transport/storage. They are heavy but have taken a lot of rounds and still stand up just fine.

Buy extra lengths of chain and whatever you are using to hang the gong. Sooner or later someone will shoot the chain or a hanger.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For portable stands, I just make a sawhorse out of some 2x4s. No kit needed, although those brackets are pretty cheap.

If it's mild handgun-only (no magnum revolvers), some 5/16 chain will work great. For rifle use, the 3/8" grade 70 (usually identifiable by a yellow chromate finish) isn't exactly bulletproof, but is roughly equivalent to AR400 steel, and will hold up much longer to splatter and the occasional direct hit than mild chain, which will part with one rifle hit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
    For portable stands, I just make a sawhorse out of some 2x4s. No kit needed, although those brackets are pretty cheap.

If it's mild handgun-only (no magnum revolvers), some 5/16 chain will work great. For rifle use, the 3/8" grade 70 (usually identifiable by a yellow chromate finish) isn't exactly bulletproof, but is roughly equivalent to AR400 steel, and will hold up much longer to splatter and the occasional direct hit than mild chain, which will part with one rifle hit.
    I think that will work out best for me so far, I priced a gas pipe stand would cost about double of what the sawhorse stand will. The two metal sawhorse kit runs 12 bucks and the wood would run me about 10 bucks.

Feedback Score
    I'm also a big fan of Miller Target Systems.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post

I did the same thing. You can make the legs any length you want and a shot up leg or cross piece is cheap to replace.

I added eye bolts near the bottom of the sawhorse legs. When I set up the sawhorse on the range, I drive landscape spikes (large nails) through the eye bolts and into the ground for added stability.
    Train 2 Win