Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any drone enthusiast/hobbiest?

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

Any drone enthusiast/hobbiest?

I got a DJI Phantom 3 Professional with a 4k camera the other day. I haven't got a chance to fly it yet but will in a couple of weeks after vacation. Ive been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials and how-to videos. Something I have always wanted to do was to film and so I plan on learning how to use this for filming but I got to fly first. Just wondering if any other fly any quads or drones and what you do with them.

Feedback Score
    I'm more into remote control planes- micro size so I don't have to worry about being heavier than two sticks of butter.

Love to see some footage.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have done airplanes and helo's. Not gotten into the car/trucks.

Drones are easy to fly compared to a helo. Just make sure you get a good radio and don't skimp on batteries.

Feedback Score
    want to get into drones photographer full time so want to work it into my work

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My brother is huge into it and I operate(Pilot) a rather large Drone. The Phantom is a more stable platform for video and a lot of people use them for family events, race day, boating and etc. The 4k camera is good and I think it's gimbaled so you can move it and it's gyro'd (always centered and not bumpy).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Use an iPad for your dashboard and FPV, and get a good sunshade for it. Goggles like Shark would be best, but spendy. Make sure you've enabled Home Lock in the IOC (may not be available yet). Figuring out which way the drone is pointed is tough once it get out about 100 yards or more and it's nice to be able to pull back on the directional stick to bring it home no matter which way it's pointed.

These quads are a blast. They aren't really about flying, they're about the photography. Flying the thing isn't really a challenge, nor particularly gratifying, but the photography is. You'll get images and videos you've never imagined. The Phantom 3 is a huge upgrade to the Phantom 2, which in itself is an excellent drone.

Last edited by Hmac; 01-06-16 at 06:26.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Can someone help me understand the legality of FPV and RC aircraft?

The information circulating is about as bad as the general public's understanding of NFA.

I think it is about the coolest thing ever, but I don't want to drop a single cent on something that I can't actually play with.

Feedback Score
    I've owned a Phantom 3 Advanced (1080p camera) since around August and love it so far. One of the coolest things about the drone is how the change in perspective makes something you see every day instantly become very interesting. You can get some truly amazing shots with them in both stills and video. The same rules of thumb apply as general photography in that the golden hours (before dusk / after dawn) are the best times to get some truly stunning shots.

Just be safe flying, stay under 400’, and stay away from areas you shouldn’t be operating in.

Here's a video I put together from Labor Day at the lake:
    Last edited by thecolter; 01-06-16 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Can someone help me understand the legality of FPV and RC aircraft?

The information circulating is about as bad as the general public's understanding of NFA.

I think it is about the coolest thing ever, but I don't want to drop a single cent on something that I can't actually play with.
    They want you to be flying within line-of-sight. Historically (and I think currently under the new drone rules) the concept of "community standards" has been a key concept in FAA oversight of UAS operations, including standard R/C aircraft. As "community standards", they generally look to the Academy of Model Aeronautics to define that. FYI, here's the AMA's rule on FPV:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that, and thanks for the link.

The individuals that I personally encountered were definitely flying FPV BLOS. The flying wing they were using was approximately 4-5 miles out. Approximately 200' in altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    They want you to be flying within line-of-sight. Historically (and I think currently under the new drone rules) the concept of "community standards" has been a key concept in FAA oversight of UAS operations, including standard R/C aircraft. As "community standards", they generally look to the Academy of Model Aeronautics to define that. FYI, here's the AMA's rule on FPV:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast