Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Any drone enthusiast/hobbiest?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Roger that, and thanks for the link.

The individuals that I personally encountered were definitely flying FPV BLOS. The flying wing they were using was approximately 4-5 miles out. Approximately 200' in altitude.
    I know. I've seen the videos. As a long-time R/C builder and flyer and full-scale pilot, I think it is extremely cool.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Dude, they let me try view it through their FatShark goggles, and it was absolutely stunning. Seriously gave me a sense of childlike wonder, and as a grizzled, cynical old bastard, that's saying something.

My pilot buddy HATES FPV with a burning passion, and views it as a threat to public safety.

I would LOVE to get into FPV *if* I could use it lawfully BLOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I know. I've seen the videos. As a long-time R/C builder and flyer and full-scale pilot, I think it is extremely cool.

Feedback Score
    I wish you guys well.

That said, I'm assuming you've no plans to film private property?

If I were to see one hovering over my house/yard, I'd be tempted to do some wing shooting.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    While your property extends to the center of the earth, you own zero of the airspace above it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    I wish you guys well.

If I were to see one hovering over my house/yard, I'd be tempted to do some wing shooting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    I wish you guys well.

Probably cost you some money, especially now that the FAA has decided that it's an aircraft, but I'll bet you'd feel good doing it. Fire away, I say.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I just ordered one of these:

http://axisdrones.com/products/vidiu...lest-fpv-drone

Probably more of a toy than the higher end models. Should be fun for my son to use. I have been interested in drones for a while but have no desire to spend a lot of money or get licensed by rhe FAA

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Son?

Please! Dude, you'll love that thing too.

Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I just ordered one of these:

http://axisdrones.com/products/vidiu...lest-fpv-drone

Probably more of a toy than the higher end models. Should be fun for my son to use. I have been interested in drones for a while but have no desire to spend a lot of money or get licensed by rhe FAA

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In my mind, these drones are completely different from R/C aircraft...setting aside the fact that they actually are R/C aircraft, I see the implementation of the drone hobby as unrelated to R/C. For me, with R/C, it's always been the building, modifying, the flying, implementing the technology, and hanging out at the field with the guys. With the drone, there's no challenge to the flying, nor is it a social event, it's all about the photography. I find that to be very cool and a lot of fun, but in a completely different way.

That's assuming one is buying an RTF drone. The technology involved in building such a thing is a whole different thing and a hobby unto itself that really is pretty unrelated to either R/C or drone flying.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Outlander---

You are correct.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Well, I think a lot of the public is confused and also worried that drone pilots will violate there privacy. As with all things, there will be people who abuse there freedom and cause legislation (fun police) to start writing laws. I heard its good to keep a log of flight time and flight hours since within 10 years it may be a requirement to have a license to pilot any rc aircraft.

I have a Freewing Eurofighter 12 ch with retracts
    Attachment 36907
    its over 4 feet long and powered by a 90mm 14 blade EDF running on 6s. I have a Sony action cam in the cockpit and it gives a realistic perspective view of a pilot. I put led lights behing the instrument cluster to give a more realistic cockpit.
    Attachment 36908
    I have made a few short videos while flying over the desert area in mid and west Texas. The problem is landing, I can take off in 30 feet or less but I need 100+ feet to land so I have to drive out a little ways to fly it.
    With a drone I can fly in relatively close to home but there is nothing worth filming. I might make a weekend trip out to Guadalupe mountains national park to get some good space and something worth filming.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast