Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Any drone enthusiast/hobbiest?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I built several for the AUVSI student UAS competition in college. I helped design and build the immediate predecessor to this one from the ground up, including fabrication of composite components from tooling to completion....

http://xipiter.org/web/xawk-x-2c-uas/

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Are you a Techie?

The dudes at GT are absolutely hardcore into building hobbyist UAVs.

Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    I built several for the AUVSI student UAS competition in college. I helped design and build the immediate predecessor to this one from the ground up, including fabrication of composite components from tooling to completion....

http://xipiter.org/web/xawk-x-2c-uas/

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Are you a Techie?

The dudes at GT are absolutely hardcore into building hobbyist UAVs.
    I guess you could say that. Aero engineering degree with all sorts of geeky mechanically based hobbies....

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that.

I should clarify, "Techie" is a slang term around here for Georgia Tech grads. I spend 40-hours a week around a small army of "Techies" and apparently drone building is a huge thing on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    I guess you could say that. Aero engineering degree with all sorts of geeky mechanically based hobbies....

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Roger that.

I should clarify, "Techie" is a slang term around here for Georgia Tech grads. I spend 40-hours a week around a small army of "Techies" and apparently drone building is a huge thing on campus.
    Oh no I graduated from MS State

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I need one of these right now.

How do I get one that flies really far, really high, and I can use FPV?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Go to http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.asp

Buy a Skywalker X8.

Buy some FatShark goggles.

Buy whatever you need to power the Skywalker X8.

Proceed to live out your Predator Operator fantasies.

If you can watch this, and not think it is cool as hell, your inner child is dead:

ETA: Money Shot is @ 3:55

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I need one of these right now.

How do I get one that flies really far, really high, and I can use FPV?
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 01-06-16 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Eurodriver: if your going to buy something that can fly far and high and have FPV, I would look into a UAV that has GPS and a FMS (flight management system) so you can set way points and a flight plan. Those are not toys but expensive equipment that requires constant firmware updates, compass and gyro calibrations. For long duration flights, I would suggest a aircraft with a large enough battery to support high altitudes as well as flight time. My Phantom 3 is capable of 23 minute flight times and a max altitude around 2500' above sea level, however 4600' ceiling has been achieved but not recommended. I have a 4k camera built in where I can use my iPad mini as my video feed monitor, I can also adjust video settings, iso, shutter speed and calibrate flight plan from my iPad as well. The phantom3 is around $1500, the D3R is around $1300- the D3R uses a gopro on a 3 axis gimbal and offers FPV through video feed uplink. The Skywalker X8 Outlander Systems is talking about is almost 6 feet long, not exactly a simple, throw in your back seat kind of aircraft but it fly's exceptionally well for a flying wing. The videos on YouTube are amazing and the high lift capabilities offer an advantage to carry more weight like extra go pros or action cams. In the video, the aircraft is about 10,000 feet- I would think you would need FFA approval for that cruising altitude but not sure. Its fun though, I think making a small scale Global Hawk would be awesome with a pan and tilt 4k camera with a FLIR attachment. Or a Predator with a 50cc 4 cylinder with 3 gallon fuel tank for 4-6 hour flight time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    In the video, the aircraft is about 10,000 feet- I would think you would need FFA approval for that cruising altitude but not sure. Its fun though, I think making a small scale Global Hawk would be awesome with a pan and tilt 4k camera with a FLIR attachment. Or a Predator with a 50cc 4 cylinder with 3 gallon fuel tank for 4-6 hour flight time.
    I think it would be a blast, but airplane FPV would be a major committment in time, tools, equipment, and study. Not to mention the fact that flying FPV beyond visual range is illegal as the laws currently stand.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This is what chaps my ass.

If there is a licensing requirement...whatever...I would do it. Is there no legal way to operate BLOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Not to mention the fact that flying FPV beyond visual range is illegal as the laws currently stand.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast