Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of an Omega 9K

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Cool Talk me out of an Omega 9K

Hey guys,

Just registered here to pick the brains of the more experienced people. I currently have a few SBRs and I have a Saker 7.62 (w/AAC T51 mount, long story) and have a Griffin Recce 5 that will hopefully be starting the transfer process soon.

I'm itching to get a pistol/sub-gun suppressor before 41P goes into effect... primarily to just avoid the extra hassle of the photo/fingerprint card business.

I thought I was going to get either a Silencerco Osprey or an AAC illusion in order to not lose the use of the iron sights on pistols.

However, in talking with SilencerCo they clued me into their new Omega 9K and I'm liking the idea more and more. Yes, I will lose the use of iron sights on my pistols but on the plus side I get a super light 5" can that can be used on everything from 9mm subsonic up to 300 blackout subsonic.

Can anyone give me good reasons to not go this way? One of the things I like about the 9K is that I could convert one of my 300 BLK SBRs into a more maneuverable SMG sized home defense rig with subsonic ammo.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Don't ignore the Octane series, they will perform on the same calibers as the Omega 9. Granted you will have some added length, but they are another solid pistol can that will shoot 9mm up to 300BO.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    Don't ignore the Octane series, they will perform on the same calibers as the Omega 9. Granted you will have some added length, but they are another solid pistol can that will shoot 9mm up to 300BO.
    It looked like the primary reason to choose Octane was lower cost? Or does it have some other advantage?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The OMEGA 9K will handle 300blk supers. That's really the only advantage over the Octane series IMHO. It's a sealed can (so no lead or 22lr through it).

Unless OAL is the biggest concern, the Omega 9k gets pretty crappy db ratings. I personally went with the Octane 45K for a short length pistol/sub gun can. I would also wait another 2 weeks and see if SiCo releases an Octane/Osprey 9K at shot show. That would be really tempting.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    The OMEGA 9K will handle 300blk supers. That's really the only advantage over the Octane series IMHO. It's a sealed can (so no lead or 22lr through it).

Unless OAL is the biggest concern, the Omega 9k gets pretty crappy db ratings. I personally went with the Octane 45K for a short length pistol/sub gun can. I would also wait another 2 weeks and see if SiCo releases an Octane/Osprey 9K at shot show. That would be really tempting.
    Thanks for your input. OAL is a concern although would not say it's #1 concern (but it's up there). Can you elaborate on what you mean by "no lead" through the can? All of my projectiles have lead in them

I should definitely wait till shot show I suppose since new stuff will be coming out very soon.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Griffn Revolution 9?

Full size AND a K can.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looking at Silencerco videos I am seeing 135dB for 9mm with Osprey K 45 and 135.7dB for 9mm with Omega 9K.... so definitely a bit louder but not a "lot louder" unless there are major differences with other calibers.

Keep in mind that I already have a big Saker 762 that I use for maximum suppression. My goal with this next purchase is to get something that is reasonable to use with pistol calibers. Being able to use with sub-guns would just be a big plus. What I like about my SBRs is that they are small and maneuverable. Hanging my 8" saker off the end kind of defeats that to an extent. For my 12.5 5.56 SBR I am ordering the Griffin Recce and am hoping that it doesn't kill what I like about the small 5.56 carbine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't forget about the tone. It had a very deep low tone when I tested it. That being said, it didn't seem backyard shooting quiet in 300BLK. Although 9mm was down right magical sounding. It would fit a home defense short OAL role just fine though. It will take the edge off of a 300blk SBR.

https://www.full30.com/video/629a966...4ae9a4b3516e42
    Industry T&E

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    I dunno...I'm tempted. The video of this can on the scorpion has me regretting my revolution. 300 subs/supers is a nice bonus.

ETA, yeah...that video ^^^^

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireman1291 View Post
    Don't forget about the tone. It had a very deep low tone when I tested it. That being said, it didn't seem backyard shooting quiet in 300BLK. Although 9mm was down right magical sounding. It would fit a home defense short OAL role just fine though. It will take the edge off of a 300blk SBR.

https://www.full30.com/video/629a966...4ae9a4b3516e42
    Thanks a lot for the video! Definitely a lot of compromises with this can but it is appealing as a "jack of all trades, master of none" option. Being able to use it with a bedside .45 ACP or 300BLK and get to under 140db for bump in the night use is very appealing to me.

The way I look at it, the alternative is to pony up the same money for an Osprey or similar and have a longer, heavier pistol suppressor that is more limited in what you can do with it.... but the advantage of best pistol suppression possible and of course the big advantage of the offset design leaving your iron sights useable.

Choices choices.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast