Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of an Omega 9K

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunf1ghter View Post
    Why do you feel the Octane 45K is a better choice? dB ratings look like they are similar but the Octane is 2" longer than the Omega 9K. The 9K looks like the more "cutting edge tech" of the two. For me, the ability to shoot cast bullets is a non-concern, all of my hand loads are with factory non-cast bullets.
    Just fwiw.... When you guys are comparing length of the Omega9K, you need to specify application.

An Omega9K with a three lug adapter is 1.5"+4.7" which is about the same as an Obsidian with it's internal 3-lug.

I really want to like the Omega9K but it's a pistol strength silencer that is 1.5" which seems to large for pistols (imo). So now we're talking its a good 300blk and subgun can... Except that it's still very small volume, non-serviable, and it's not rated for 300blk super or 357mag or anything like that.

... So I think if you're looking for a really small 9mm subgun can it could have some merit. But for my money, a large volume subgun can will still win every day of the week.

I'm buying an Obsidian 45 with a 9mm endcap over the Omega9k because I already have an MK9K and I just don't really believe in the BUY ONE CAN lie everyone tells themselves

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    ^^It IS rated for 300 super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstalford View Post
    ^^It IS rated for 300 super.

Yea? SBR?

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Yea? SBR?
    I can't find the barrel length specs, but it says full auto 300 sub and super

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunf1ghter View Post
    Why do you feel the Octane 45K is a better choice? dB ratings look like they are similar but the Octane is 2" longer than the Omega 9K. The 9K looks like the more "cutting edge tech" of the two. For me, the ability to shoot cast bullets is a non-concern, all of my hand loads are with factory non-cast bullets.
    I also feel like this is sort of misleading yourself.

The Octane 45k and Omega9K SEEM to have the same baffles as the Hybrid as Obsidian as the Griffin Armament stuff as the many others. A LOT of companies are using the same style click-together sweeping cone type thing. I think length is far more important than diameter, so I'm skeptical their 1.375" can has the same numbers as their 2" shorter 1.50" can.

If that were the case, I think we'd see all new cans coming out at 1.50"+.

No one has tested these on the same day, and I for one will never look at a company's website -db number and use that to compare to anything, even within the same company. Too much ****ery is possible with meters, and actual sound isn't at all represented.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can't find the barrel length specs, but it says full auto 300 sub and super
    You're not wrong. It says Noveske 16" - 138db on the spec sheet. But something tells me we're talking 12.5" if not the more likely 16" limit.

Unless it's 8" 300blk super, I'm not even counting it as super-rated. Just my personal feeling on it, but 300blk is sort of pointless for me unless its a shorty.

Also, 138db at the muzzle on a 16" is almost certain still over 140db at the ear. That said... the lightest other cans I could think of that handle 300blk super at all would be the thread on Omega, Thunderbeast Ultra, SIG's non-Ti762 threadon. So I guess if you're running 300blk 16" (why?) then yea, seems like a good option.

Overall I'd be much more impressed with the Omega9K if it was $650 MSRP.
    Last edited by Noodles; 01-07-16 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)

Talk me out of an Omega 9K

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the street price is ending up so expensive. The Octane 45 has a higher MSRP, but the street price is like over $100 less, and that includes a piston as well.

Given its current MSRP, it SHOULD be $650. Unless I'm missing something

Last edited by jstalford; 01-07-16 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the street price is ending up so expensive. The Octane 45 has a higher MSRP, but the street price is like over $100 less, and that includes a piston as well.
    Given its current MSRP, it SHOULD be $650. Unless I'm missing something
    It's not even Form3 to dealers yet I don't think. And with everything going on, I think every dealer knows that with 41P or Hillary getting the D nomination, that everything they list today will sell.

The MSRP is the issue I have with this can. I'm just not seeing $850. Fwiw, having seen dealer price on them, I think $650 is reasonably as low as you'll see for some time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Omega 9K seems like it was designed around a military contact (sub 140db), light and short as possible.

But at 6.2" (with 3 lug adapter), the actual Omega rifle can (in direct thread mode) would be quieter and way more durable.

I would be a lot more interested if SiCo released an Octane 9K.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    The Omega 9K seems like it was designed around a military contact (sub 140db), light and short as possible.
    That makes a ton of sense actually! It would also explain why the MSRP is high (because military items can be renegotiated based on the civilian price).

The only thing that I'd be clueless on is what application!? Not a pistol because it would block the sights on everything including some suppressor sights.... Although that might explain why it's 1.470" and not 1.5". If it's not our mil maybe it's for a subgun. Hmmmm... Good thought. I wonder if we see the MHS with suppressor sights come out with an Omega9K attached???

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast