Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Build. 14.5 BCM Upper on Spikes Lower.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    It's a fine looking weapon ms. I really like that rail. It looks pretty lightweight. Is this the case? I've pretty fond of the Troy rails specifically the Alpha and VTAC Alpha but have been very, very tempted to try a keymod. Have you used a keymod rail before? I know you don't have a lot of stuff hangin' off your rail (Hey that's a good thing compared to some kit I've seen) but how are the rail attachments? Pretty easy to find and install? That's one thing about the small profile rails, is changing attachment points after it's installed.
    One more question if you don't mind, in looking at the rail, it almost looks like a 2-piece. Is that just where it attaches to the barrel nut or something?

Thanks for posting, you did a good job. I think it's a success on many levels when you walk away from something knowing a little more than when you started. :-)
    Thanks for the kind words. I definitely learned a lot. Spent too much, of course, trying multiple different configurations, but I can go into the next rifle with the knowledge I've gained through building this one and avoid all those headaches.

This is my first keymod rail. The rail is a 1 piece Fortis Rev II 12" and its really light. Fortis has it listed at 7.8oz. It mounts using a standard barrel nut. You're correct that there's a second small piece that attaches the main rail to the barrel nut. This is my first keymod rail. For my purposes at this time, it has everything I need. I haven't bought any picatinny sections for it yet, so I can't comment on their ease of use. But judging on how sturdy the handstop is, and how easy it was to install, I'd imagine rail sections would be the same. I've looked at buying some, and they're readily available all over.

The PA dot is nice, for sure. There are some fairly brutal torture tests run on it on youtube if you want to see how it holds up. I'm sure it'll be all the red dot I'll ever need. For 160 bucks, I can't complain.

Feedback Score
    So, its safe to say i've caught the AR bug. Always finding the need to tinker and not leaving well enough alone, I made some pretty substantial changes to my first build (which is friggin' done, my wallet can't take anymore!).

I decided "someday I may want to run a suppressor, I cant with my current muzzle device." I ordered an sfmb-556 to remedy that.

Now, my 14.5" BCM midlength fell into the "wasn't actually 14.5 inches, but rather 15". With the brake attached measured just about 17. Knowing that I'd have to send the barrel off to Adco for them to cut off the old brake, and install the new Surefire, I figured I'd have them trim the barrel down so that with the Surefire brake, it comes out to 16.1.

Then I swapped out the 12" Fortis Rev II for a 13" KMR Alpha. Having the barrel trimmed down that little bit leaves next to no barrel showing, which I think looks mean. Lastly, I put on some MBUS Pro BUIS.

Just got it back together, and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet in its current configuration, but can't wait to see the performance of the Surefire brake.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the pics. Attachment 37642Attachment 37643Attachment 37644Attachment 37645Attachment 37646
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by msnyder0609; 02-09-16 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msnyder0609 View Post
    So, its safe to say i've caught the AR bug. Always finding the need to tinker and not leaving well enough alone, I made some pretty substantial changes to my first build (which is friggin' done, my wallet can't take anymore!).

I decided "someday I may want to run a suppressor, I cant with my current muzzle device." I ordered an sfmb-556 to remedy that.

Now, my 14.5" BCM midlength fell into the "wasn't actually 14.5 inches, but rather 15". With the brake attached measured just about 17. Knowing that I'd have to send the barrel off to Adco for them to cut off the old brake, and install the new Surefire, I figured I'd have them trim the barrel down so that with the Surefire brake, it comes out to 16.1.

Then I swapped out the 12" Fortis Rev II for a 13" KMR Alpha. Having the barrel trimmed down that little bit leaves next to no barrel showing, which I think looks mean. Lastly, I put on some MBUS Pro BUIS.

Just got it back together, and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet in its current configuration, but can't wait to see the performance of the Surefire brake.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the pics. Attachment 37642Attachment 37643Attachment 37644Attachment 37645Attachment 37646
    I would agree that looks very nice - I like the brake just outside the rail. I've read and seen some folks that really like the performance of the Surefire. I just put a Lantec Dragon on my 2nd build. It's very similar to the Surefire, except it doesn't take a can.
    You going to start the NFA Trust process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I would agree that looks very nice - I like the brake just outside the rail. I've read and seen some folks that really like the performance of the Surefire. I just put a Lantec Dragon on my 2nd build. It's very similar to the Surefire, except it doesn't take a can.
    You going to start the NFA Trust process?
    Maybe in the next year or so. Buying all the bells and whistles is a ton of fun, for sure. Though for my purposes, this point in time, $1000 in ammo would probably be the better purchase.

When I do go that route, I'll probably go all out and build an SBR and then be able to use that suppressor on both rifles.

Glad you like my update! Can't wait to shoot it!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    There's wisdom in that statement ms. Having all the bells and whistles won't do much to protect you and those around you if you haven't got the bullets. Beans, bullets, and training, if you take care of those 3 you'll be in pretty good shape. That lesson courtesy of the US Army.
    I try to periodically order a few hundred rounds. That way I'm not taking too big of a dip into my account and it does add up over time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12