Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible dangerous issue/jam with Spikes Tactical AR ST-15 HELP!

Feedback Score

Possible dangerous issue/jam with Spikes Tactical AR ST-15 HELP!

Hey guys I am fairly new to the AR platform and here on the forum but I know if anyone has a suggestion on how to fix my issue, it is here with you knowledgeable folks!

I have a ST-15 AR carbine that has all of a sudden "jammed" on my last range day. The firearm was properly cleaned and lubricated before shooting and the ammo I'm using IS new Wolf .233 brass FMJ's that I bought in bulk.

Basically what has happened is I was firing the first clip, and on the 23 or so round the gun just jammed with the bolt carrier not coming back to rest as it is intended! No matter what I do or how hard I pull, I cannot pull the charging handle back to release the cartridge/ check what has happened! The thing I'm worried about the most is did the round go off and it's just the brass cartridge left? Or is there a live round still in the chamber stuck and possibly damaged making this a "dangerous to mess with situation"? I have removed the lower from the upper so there is no way for accidental discharge as far as the firing pin goes but I wanted to come to you guys to find the best course of action for fixing this and find out what has caused it? The pics of the issue are below. Thank you for anyone much wiser than me chiming in and giving a newb a hand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    If it was mine, I would re-attach the lower and mortar it. Obviously keep the muzzle in a safe direction.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    And by "mortaring it" is slamming the buttstock on the ground(while the rifle is pointed up) and keep your left hand on the charging handle. Keep your face away from the muzzle please.

Feedback Score

Possible dangerous issue/jam with Spikes Tactical AR ST-15 HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by zk556x45 View Post
    If it was mine, I would re-attach the lower and mortar it. Obviously keep the muzzle in a safe direction.
    OK just looked up a video of how to do that. Thank you very much! I will try when I get home today. Is it likely that the round is still live in the chamber? Also do you see this as being a bad ammunition issue? I'm guessing this is also a common issue that I'm going to find occasionally?

Will update when I try procedure later today. Thanks again guys

Last edited by awareunlikeu; 12-21-15 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    Probably a result of an undercharged round / squib.

1. Collapse your stock all the way forward.
    2. Hold your rifle upright with stock on a hard surface.
    3. Grasp charging handle, thereby releasing it (as if you were pulling back on it).
    4. Slam rifle down on said hard surface buttstock first while simultaneously pulling back on charging handle. This doesn't need to be exceedingly hard ... just lift rifle up 12-18" and slam it back down on the end of the stock.

Should take care of it.

There must be several youtube videos on this.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by awareunlikeu View Post
    OK just looked up a video of how to do that. Thank you very much! I will try when I get home today and will also make sure no one is above me in my house. Is it likely that the round is still live in the chamber? Also do you see this as being a bad ammunition issue? I'm guessing this is also a common issue that I'm going to find occasionally?

I've never had an issue with brass and haven't heard anything bad about the 55gr Wolff. It's hard to say but it looks like a spent casing

Feedback Score
    There is many videos but just didn't know what to call he procedure for the fix (mortaring) but also just wanted to get your alls blessing on the matter. Like I said I'm new to AR platform and this is the first malfunction I've had out of 2000 rounds I've put through it. Thanks again I'll post a little later once successful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just make sure that once you get it cleared, you check the barrel for obstructions. If it was a squib, which is likely, you could still have a bullet partway down the barrel. Firing it like that would be bad. I'm not clear on the sequence of events. Was this a failure to extract? Or a failure to feed the next round? If that's the next cartridge failing to feed, you may have had a damaged case, and this one is stuck on a brass fragment. Either way, mortar it, and check the barrel and chamber for a bullet or case fragments.
    Last edited by cynical; 12-21-15 at 10:38. Reason: can't type worth a damn

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awareunlikeu View Post
    There is many videos but just didn't know what to call he procedure for the fix (mortaring) but also just wanted to get your alls blessing on the matter. Like I said I'm new to AR platform and this is the first malfunction I've had out of 2000 rounds I've put through it. Thanks again I'll post a little later once successful.

It's all good. Consider this a valuable training event. Now you know what to do in the field.

Be sure to let us know how it goes tonight.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Looking at how far out of battery the bcg is I would guess you have a case with the head torn off. Rifle did what it is designed to do and fed another round into the torn case tying up the gun. Tearing case heads isn't uncommon with the AR.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast