Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I test fire a few rounds after a complete breakdown/cleaning?

Feedback Score

Should I test fire a few rounds after a complete breakdown/cleaning?

Didn't come up with anything in search.

Over the weekend I put 600 rounds through my BCM, then came home and fully dissembled and cleaned the entire thing. I also put new gas rings on the bolt as the rifle is at 3000 rounds and they seemed weak. Now I did function check the rifle, but was thinking... Should I fire a 5 shot group through it just to ensure everything is good? Its my primary HD gun, and just want to be safe.

Does anyone test fire a few round through their duty rifle/ HD rifle after a through cleaning?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    When you say fully disassembled do you mean piece by piece (removing pins and unscrewing things) or took the BCG out, took that apart, solvent scrub reassembled lube your parts?

Feedback Score
    Took the BCG out and took it apart, extractor and all. No I didn't take anything apart that would not normally come out for a full cleaning though. Just curious if anyone ever test fires a few rounds or is happy with the function check without firing.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    then no

Feedback Score
    Generally speaking after a field strip it wont pass a function check if somthing is wrong.

If it were me manually push firing pin forward to verify protrusion and maybe use a spent case to verify extractor and ejection.

Beyond that nope.

And the stuff is said before is overkill to me but ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 05-04-17 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't, but I do run the bolt, making sure my trigger pulls and resets ok. I also make sure my safety is working and that when I release it, the trigger doesn't do anything wonkie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the same feeling as you do/did after a complete cleaning but have never actually blasted a few rounds to confirm function. The urge goes away after a short while.

Feedback Score
    I generally test fire one or two thousand rounds between cleanings, yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If the rifle has proven to be reliable, and passes a function check after a breakdown and cleaning, odds are it'll keep on running. If you're replacing parts, then it might warrant at least throwing a couple rounds downrange. In your case, replacing gas rings pretty much falls in the breakdown and cleaning category. Could they be defective and cause a failure? Anything is possible. Is it likely they'd be defective and cause an issue? Not at all.

Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry. So, I'll generally test as much as the situation allows. If you can easily walk outside and fire a few rounds, what are you waiting for? If testing it won't be that simple, what level of inconvenience would it require to be able to fire those test rounds? If the hassle isn't worth the minuscule risk of a failure, I wouldn't lose sleep over it in your given set of circumstances.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    you're fine.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast