Thread: Magpul MLOK vs Keymod

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Edited.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have both, and both work as advertised.

Feedback Score
    I am still buying KeyMod rails today. The KeyMod design is a lighter design than MLOK. MLOK calls for more material in it's spec. Not anything to do with strength, just a design limitation.
    KeyMod allows for less weight at the front of my rifle. The rail manufacturers will tell you this.
    The few accessories I have (Lights, VGs) all lock solidly into place with KeyMod.
    MLOK is no better looking than KeyMod IMO - they're both ugly. -Especially the 7-sided rails.

KeyMod takes more intentionality when attaching things perhaps - it's not idiot proof like std pic. MLOK is slightly more idiot proof than KeyMod. For that reason alone, MLOK may end up more of a long term winner, which will be a sad day IMO. But whatever. Both designs have their pros n cons.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In spec - properly installed keymod rails / accessories DON'T just fall off. The system works great but, there's always room for improvement. Who will win this VHS vs Beta war is still up in the air but I will say that I'm very interested in the MLOK and the Kinect system.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    There's no reason both can't exist in the market. It's not like home video or something where the entire industry has to be able to supply the entire market on one medium... as long as people are still using either one, manufacturers will make accessories for them. Seeing how so much of the AR market is mil-obsessed, it would be a major boon if one of the systems was adopted for use on rifles by the US military... but it doesn't look like they're going to move away from 1913 any time soon. I expect both will be with us for a while. As for me, make mine Keymod... mainly because I like the selection of handguards BCM and UTG Pro offer. Also the only accessory I mount that doesn't go on the top rail is a sling swivel cup, and I like how Keymod allows the swivel to go through the handguard, which keeps the mount very low profile.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You need a plier or wrench to hold the nuts when getting the screws started on Magpul MLOK accessories because of the thread lock they use. That was a little annoying. MLOK QD sockets are bulbous compared to keymod since you can't use the MLOK slot as part of the recess like you can with keymod. The KDG MLOK mounts are very compelling.

I don't think one system is better than the other as they both have their pros and cons. If the biggest complaint about keymod is just they way it looks, I am sure it will be around for a long time.

Plenty of people think Glocks are ugly and they "feel like holding a 2x4".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm in the Keymod camp. I've got 4 Keymod rails (KMR, NSR) and one MLok. I think the Keymod standard is superior even if the design is more expensive to implement. It is possible that Mlok will win because it is cheaper, has the KDG quick release available, and has Magpul marketing muscle behind it.

Personally, there is only one accessory that I would use with the KDG system and that is a light. Frankly, it would only be slightly helpful to have a quick release light and I'm kind of wary of stuff that can be easily removed.

So it's Keymod for me.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-08-16 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I like the idea of the Atlas bipod on the KDG mount, but was it just me or was that thing rocking in the slot in the video?

Feedback Score
    From another forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop
    Keymod
    Pros:
    Open source, not restrained by a TDP, which allows a manufacturer to improve upon the mounting method.
    Shows better alignment of mounted items, as the attachment nut is conical and tightens into a beveled recess.

Cons:
    Open source, not restrained by a TDP, which allows a manufacturer to screw-up the mounting method.
    Requires higher than usual toque for a small screw to avoid loosening, but must remain low enough to prevent damage to the nut or handguard.
    The attachment nut and mounting slot must be able to withstand significant torque without deforming, which makes both highly sensitive to material and hardening processes.
    To reverse an item, the nut recess must first allow it, and the user must loosen and flip the nut.

M-Lok
    Pros:
    Patented and controlled by Magpul, which ensures that everyone that is making an M-lok accessory that bears the M-Lok logo has to have been approved by them, which keeps everyone at the standard that they want.
    Attachment method can bear very high torque, ensuring that accessories won't loosen if mounted correctly.
    Attachment hardware can withstand high pull force.
    Items are immediately able to be reversed when mounting.

Cons:
    Patented and controlled by Magpul, which prevents outside manufacturers from changing the attachment method for a specific purpose.
    Attachment hardware can be shifted (without loosening) with lateral leverage.

Frankly, most people will never notice a difference if they just pick the one that they think looks the coolest, so long as high quality parts are used.

NOTE: My use of the word "frankly" is not at all condescending, but rather indicates bare honesty on my behalf, with as few words used as necessary.
    Also, this:

Roland's just a pseudonym, guy was in an SMU at the time of posting, which was June of 2015.

I've also heard first hand of issues with Keymod mounted bipods being pushed out of place (occurred at a John McPhee precision course of some sort, I believe with a BCM KMR). Personally, I've heard enough issues with KM to make me prefer M-LOK, all things being equal, but it's not something I will worry about, and things will never be equal between a Keymod rail and an M-LOK rail (Keymod will almost always be lighter). Right now, the only things I mount in the Keymod sections is a QD sling stud on my NSR (my PWS upper has built-in QD studs in the Keymod holes) and lights (which I can easily switch to mounting off the top Picatinny using the Unity Tactical FUSION Hub or perhaps their Monkey Bar, or use an IWC Thorntail Picatinny).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    P&S has a great thread on keymod as default just posted. In their eyes MLOK > Keymod for serious use and they have experience to back that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    If you can't pick your shit up at 3pm or 0300 and it's configured to get it done 0-400m in seconds, sideways, upside down, or unstable... your a daylight range clown.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast