Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eliminate the ringing, modifing an open tine flash hider

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Eliminate the ringing, modifing an open tine flash hider

I got tired of my AAC 51t flash hider ringing like a tuning fork (as an engineer it also bothers me that it is lazy design work). So I took 10 minutes to "fix" it.

I drilled a blind hole down the middle of each tine of varying depths (enlarge 2nd picture for depths, they are not critical as long as they are sufficiently different). This makes each tine have a different stiffness and mass so they don't have the same natural frequency, and thus do not resonate. I used a carbide center drill to get them started close to center and chamfer the edge.

AAC_FH1.jpgAAC_FH2.jpg

Really, only 2 of the tines needed to be drilled, but I did all 3 so it looks better as my suppressor is usually on my sbr. Drilling a varying number blind oles in or grinding down some of the outside of the tines would have worked too, but likely look like a Bubba work.

I can still get it to ring a little if I try, but it isn't as loud and dies much quicker. However, the bolt closing no longer makes it ring, so functionally it should be gtg.
    Funny, if people like us really were the kind of people they like to portray us as, they would never dare say it. In fact, they probably wouldn't exist... -djejators

Feedback Score
    I use Smith Vortex flash hiders. If you hit them the right way there is a slight ring, but when firing I don't hear the ring. Ron Smith told me that was one of the reasons they abandoned the 3 prong configuration in favor of 4.
    Last edited by Mars attacks...; 01-08-16 at 18:06. Reason: Typo
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars attacks... View Post
    I use Smith Vortex flash hiders. If you hit them the right way there is a slight ring, but when firing I don't hear the ring. Ron Smith told me that was one of the reasons they abandoned the 3 prong configuration in favor of 4.
    Interesting. I have two or three rifles with the Smith Vortex attached. They ring. Not super loud / annoying but they do ring. How long ago did you pick up your Vortex? I wonder if there were some design changes between the time I got mine and when you got yours........
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP, thank you for the excellent post!!
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    That's one of the main reasons for me getting the SilencerCo Trifecta flash hiders for my rifles.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    That's one of the main reasons for me getting the SilencerCo Trifecta flash hiders for my rifles.
    Same here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Those always looked like they have an extra chromosome to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Interesting. I have two or three rifles with the Smith Vortex attached. They ring. Not super loud / annoying but they do ring. How long ago did you pick up your Vortex? I wonder if there were some design changes between the time I got mine and when you got yours........
    I bought 3 of them separately since 2012 and Ron gave me a handful to demo to people I know in the special operations community. The one that has seen the highest round count is on my SCAR 17 and I have put probably 2,500-3,500 rounds through it since November and the only time I hear it "Ringing" is when I bounce it off of something metallic. Even then it is very faint and fades quickly.

I also have the "Arc helix" hiders in 5.56, but I am waiting until I get the 5.56 conversion kit for the SCAR to test those out.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I read a report a while back (don't recall which board) of someone drilling a small hole through the end of one of the prongs. They claimed it eliminated the ring.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nice mod!

Sometimes the perfect symmetry of design causes unwanted side effects like vibration and harmonics.

A little de-tuning takes care of it.

For example, the guts of the newer monocore suppressors are purposely asymmetrical.

Another great example is the tread on truck tires, especially the knobby mud tires.

It used to be that each tread block around the tire was identical, but that caused a lot howling/droning at certain speeds.

Now they design each block to be slightly different. This spreads out the resonant frequencies and greatly quiets things down.
    Last edited by Clint; 01-08-16 at 22:43.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast