Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate the ringing, modifing an open tine flash hider

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have a buddy's trifecta flash hider that I'll be able to test soon, but my MAAD mount BE Meyers 249 Saker flash hider only rings minimally if I let the bolt slam home on an empty chamber. And it's only audible without hearing protection in a quiet room. But if any cartridge is being loaded, it seems to go away. The 249 being a 4 prong.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I have a buddy's trifecta flash hider that I'll be able to test soon, but my MAAD mount BE Meyers 249 Saker flash hider only rings minimally if I let the bolt slam home on an empty chamber. And it's only audible without hearing protection in a quiet room. But if any cartridge is being loaded, it seems to go away. The 249 being a 4 prong.
    Hmmmm mine is the regular MAAD trifecta that comes with a Saker 556... there's no ring whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    The ringing sound isn't loud to begin with, but if it bugs a user then so be it. Why try to drill the tines? More mass can be changed with profile changes.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Probably rings about as much as a standard BE Myers 4 prong, which isn't that much. Supposedly the three prong Trifecta has zero ring to it, no matter how you hit it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    Probably rings about as much as a standard BE Myers 4 prong, which isn't that much. Supposedly the three prong Trifecta has zero ring to it, no matter how you hit it.
    Some muzzle devices may have a resonance tone, how much does that bother a shooter or their target? What point are we getting in to?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Heh, kind of like buffer spring noise, if it bothers you your focus is wrong.

Feedback Score
    I have a bunch of 51T hiders, use them on 5.56 guns, my 6.8, and a 308. To be honest , I've never noticed the ring...And I use electronic ear pro..Guess my ears suck

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ringing FHs, obviously, is not very important functionally, but how is it "wrong" to modify my gear to eliminate it if I find it annoying?

The ringing hadn't bothered me over the last couple of years shooting. I have been doing a lot of dry firing recently though, due to severe health issues that have prevented me from working or shooting. The flash hider ring became much more annoying when letting the bolt slam home repeatedly.

My sister was just approved as an organ donor for me yesterday so I am hopeful I'll be back on my feet soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Interesting. I have two or three rifles with the Smith Vortex attached. They ring. Not super loud / annoying but they do ring. How long ago did you pick up your Vortex? I wonder if there were some design changes between the time I got mine and when you got yours........
    I bought 3 of them separately since 2012 and Ron gave me a handful to demo to people I know in the special operations community. The one that has seen the highest round count is on my SCAR 17 and I have put probably 2,500-3,500 rounds through it since November and the only time I hear it "Ringing" is when I bounce it off of something metallic. Even then it is very faint and fades quickly.

I also have the "Arc helix" hiders in 5.56, but I am waiting until I get the 5.56 conversion kit for the SCAR to test those out.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stahljaeger View Post
    Ringing FHs, obviously, is not very important functionally, but how is it "wrong" to modify my gear to eliminate it if I find it annoying?

The ringing hadn't bothered me over the last couple of years shooting. I have been doing a lot of dry firing recently though, due to severe health issues that have prevented me from working or shooting. The flash hider ring became much more annoying when letting the bolt slam home repeatedly.

My sister was just approved as an organ donor for me yesterday so I am hopeful I'll be back on my feet soon.
    I may be wrong but I don't think it is a good idea to repeatedly let the bolt slam forward on an empty chamber. Good luck with your transplant.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast