Thread: Help picking barrel length / maker

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help picking barrel length / maker

I have a BCM 14.5 pinned FH upper now and love it but want to build a pistol and since I have experience with the BCM I have been looking at their BCM 11.5" upper for a pistol build but how do other manufactuers compare like PSA for their 10.5" and 11.5"? With the BCM I am probably sticking with the fixed front sight.

I may eventually SBR whatever I build as a pistol if that matters..

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a 16" PSA CHF lightweight midlength made in 2011 with a .078" gas port; it's been superb as well as an LPK I got from that time. In recent years the general consensus is that their quality has been inconsistent, to put it mildly. Likewise with their customer service. Back in 2011 my choices were limited and it was a "different" PSA; now I wouldn't risk it.

You can't go wrong with a BCM 11.5" upper, however also check out the Sionics Patrol Zero 11.5" upper for about the same money. I've got an AR pistol build in the works right now using the Sionics 11.5" LW barrel, which I picked because it's ported properly and because of Sionics' reputation for quality. The upper comes with their NP3 BCG, which is probably as good as it gets in a non-enhanced BCG.

Either way, you won't regret paying a little more for properly spec'd and assembled uppers from reputable companies. Good luck on your choice, and let us know how it goes!

Feedback Score
    Anything longer than a 10.5 is kinda pointless since you already have a 14.5 and anything shorter than 10.3/10.5 would probably be better chambered in 300BLK

I got sick of waiting for a 10.3 from Daniel Defense and bought a PSA 10.5 CHF upper but had to send it back to have the FSB straightened( which they did to prefection) but given the choice to do it again I would wait and go for the 10.3 DD.