Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any end in sight for prices of Vintage Colt SP1s?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    $2400 is about book value, not market value. Unfortunately, many people do not know that and will pay more than they should. A real Colt 4x20 scope in really nice condition will fetch about $300-$400 easy. 1960s SP1s are between $2500 and $3500 depending on condition and year. That is the market price. 1970s SP1s are more in the $1500-$2000 range depending on year and condition. Of course, in "ban" states, you can add even more money to the prices. In my opinion, $2400 for the SP1 you are looking at is a bit high, but only by a few hundred dollars. If you know what you are looking at, know what year it was made, know if the 4x20 scope is an original Colt scope or not, you may want to consider making them an offer that is a few hundred less (somewhere around $1800-$2000).
    Based on this Gunbroker auction that closed today, I guess the price of the one I saw is pretty close to market (it is similar vintage and condition). Even though this one didn't meet the reserve, the price it was bid up to would indicate market value is in the $2000-2400 range without the scope.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=537502544
    Last edited by bigwagon; 01-30-16 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    Wow I was just given a 1975...5 digit serial numbered SP1....MINT! I also have a SP1 that I bought in 1982 that I converted to a CAR.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Unless the market just started going nuts, a solid SP1 could be had for around $1100-$1500 (Gunbroker). The '60s mode have always carried a substantial premium.

I recently bought a nice '70s example for $850 after it sat for weeks at a local gun shop with no takers at $1K. I bought a near mint 1980ish SP1 off Gunbroker about six weeks back for under $1300 shipped.

If the market is blowing up again, I'll have to keep my eyes open!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaDonkey View Post
    Unless the market just started going nuts, a solid SP1 could be had for around $1100-$1500 (Gunbroker). The '60s mode have always carried a substantial premium.

I recently bought a nice '70s example for $850 after it sat for weeks at a local gun shop with no takers at $1K. I bought a near mint 1980ish SP1 off Gunbroker about six weeks back for under $1300 shipped.

If the market is blowing up again, I'll have to keep my eyes open!
    True depending on where you live. But in ban states they are priced like MGs to us.
    In GA they go around $1500-2600 depending on condition and year. But then again I was the first of my friends to buy a non-hunting rifle back in 1977 (1976 SP1 purchase), so in GA they aren't very common in a gun store where I live, but everyone will turn and look at mine when I walk into the range with it and I've even been offered +$2000 for it but I won't sell. So your statement is true for your area of the country but where I live they sell for more and where one of my friends live I could buy a real M16 down here for the same price as the semi up there
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I can buy an original A2 in excellent condition made in 1987 for $1300, should I do it or pass?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    If I can buy an original A2 in excellent condition made in 1987 for $1300, should I do it or pass?

I bought a 1987 Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter II a couple years ago for only $900. It is excellent condition.

Now, there were some of the AR-15 A2s that were built with A1 type uppers. This would command a bit more in price.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    I wouldn't buy it.
    But a fair market value is like what Renegade04 said. $900 for a excellent one. If I was buying it (but I hate SP2's because of the Delta Elite I bought so it won't happen) I would pay them $650 max because it is still a used gun. SP1's command higher prices because they predate the May 19 1986 date so some are actually machine guns and like others have mentioned, they have been parted out for fun trigger groups that were then made illegal to have same with BCG's and uppers. Post 2004 there was a flood of dismembered SP1's on the market. So because of the lack of untouched SP1's is limited they command more than what you would normally get for a used gun.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Around my neck of the woods, Florida, SP1's have been around $1400-1600 for the past few years. I think they will climb as some of the folks just getting into AR's figure out there were models made long before the 90's. I also agree that after the AWB sunset many in free states were canabilized to sell the stripped lower to ban states which decreased the number of factory originals.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by July4th View Post
    Around my neck of the woods, Florida, SP1's have been around $1400-1600 for the past few years. I think they will climb as some of the folks just getting into AR's figure out there were models made long before the 90's. I also agree that after the AWB sunset many in free states were canabilized to sell the stripped lower to ban states which decreased the number of factory originals.
    A little over 6 years ago, I bought a cherry looking 1977 SP1 for $1K. Those prices are long gone for ones in like new condition. Most of the SP1s are going anywhere from $1000-$3000 depending on when they were manufactured and the condition. A lot of them, as July4th said, have been cannibalized and sold as parts.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    A little over 6 years ago, I bought a cherry looking 1977 SP1 for $1K. Those prices are long gone for ones in like new condition. Most of the SP1s are going anywhere from $1000-$3000 depending on when they were manufactured and the condition. A lot of them, as July4th said, have been cannibalized and sold as parts.
    I was amazed at how many folks actually removed lowers from vintage Colts after the AWB sunset. It's one thing to do it to another brand, but a Colt?!? Made no sense to me. If I would have had any other brands at the time I certainly would have done it, but never a vintage Colt.

As a side note: within the last year I know a guy who picked up a NIB SP1 for $1000 flat in a private sale and another guy who did some handy work for an old timer who thanked him by giving him an SP1 (fired with no box, but in perfect shape). The second guy had no idea what he had and was complaining about the fixed carry handle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast