Thread: Vltor A5 + KAK Shockwave?

Feedback Score

Vltor A5 + KAK Shockwave?

Has anyone tried to do this? Is the A5 pistol tube compatible? Is the smooth tube without dimples for the Shockwave's set screw too unstable? Haven't been able to find much about people's experiences running the pistol version of the A5.

Feedback Score
    Just received my Vltor RE-PA5 pistol tube and KAK Shockwave brace yesterday.

The fit is very sloppy. I measured the diameter of a regular A5 receiver extension and got 1.151 inches, whereas the A5 pistol tube measured 1.175.

The Shockwave is advertised as fitting buffer tubes up to 1.25" in diameter. Visually this checks out, it appeared that there was about a 1/16" gap between the brace and the A5 tube.

Their solution for smaller tubes is to use the set screw to clamp the tube in place. I didn't much like that idea and figured something like this might happen, so I decided to wrap the tube to snug it up. I just used some black duct tape, two wraps 2.5 times around the tube.

After that everything was nice and snug. Not difficult to move the brace around, but no wobble or slop. I positioned the forward tape wrap so that the set screw would just barely be on the forward edge of the tape if the brace was all the way "collapsed" on the tube, giving me a couple inches of LOP adjustment without marring the finish on the tube with the set screw. I ended up setting the brace about 1" out from flush at the rear. It feels very solid and stable, even after smacking it around and hitting it. I'm not sure it could possibly be as secure as a proper stock but it's not going anywhere without a big hit.

Making a range trip tomorrow and it will be coming along. I'll try to remember to post my thoughts on it afterward.

Feedback Score
    My buddy and I were very impressed with this setup after shooting it. Very solid and an unforeseen benefit of the brace is that it makes reloads much nicer, since you can balance the brace against your forearm or in the crook of your arm. I had previously just had a carbine A5 tube with a rubber cover over it on this pistol until now.