Thread: Gear for a precision rifle class ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Gear for a precision rifle class ?

I am putting this question under classes and training.
    Have the opportunity to take a distance shooting class from a Respected Name. Requirements are a rifle that will shoot 1 MOA. (I am sure there is some flexibility.)

I don’t want to go shopping except for ammo. I can take knowledge back from the class but I really have no need or place to shoot 100+ yards.
    Can I put my 15 year old Trijicon fixed 4x on a Colt 6933 or 20 year old Colt Sporter and get close to the 1 MOA.
    If so what bullet weight should I be buying?
    TIA

Feedback Score
    67 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    Have the opportunity to take a distance shooting class from a Respected Name. Requirements are a rifle that will shoot 1 MOA. (I am sure there is some flexibility.)

I don’t want to go shopping except for ammo. I can take knowledge back from the class but I really have no need or place to shoot 100+ yards.
    Can I put my 15 year old Trijicon fixed 4x on a Colt 6933 or 20 year old Colt Sporter and get close to the 1 MOA.
    TIA
    Sounds like it's a class geared towards the precision shooter utilizing a specific type of setup - especially if they are calling for a 1moa gun. Anymore details available?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post

TIA
    A 4x on an old chrome lined AR will likely hold up the class and you probably won't get much out of it. A waste of time and money and honestly, I highly doubt you're getting anywhere near 1 MOA with that setup unless you're using a vice to hold your rifle and running hand loads. You won't learn much with a non-mil/moa optic and you'll have trouble making good hits with it at the ranges of a typical precision class. Precision shooting is a lot more than just the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Let me put this another way, running a 4x with a 6933 or sporter at a precision rifle class is like bringing a bolt action 29" barreled rifle with rimmed full power rifle rounds fed via stripper clips to a carbine class.

You're likely going to want at least 8x magnification if not more, a free floated match grade barrel, a great trigger, a bipod, a rear bag, a shooting mat, a good notebook and a few pens, probably a spotting scope with tripod, maybe a wind meter, maybe a laser range finder, hat, sunscreen, lots of water and some snacks. If it's cold in your AO, probably hand warmers and heavy clothing.

As far as ammo, 75-77 grain OTM from Black Hills or CBC/Magtech if you want off-the-shelf ammo. If you want semi-handloads, Copper Creek (http://coppercreekammo.com/index.php...roducts_id=216) might be a good bet.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 01-12-16 at 08:41.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Usually precision rifle means 300+ yard shots. It's normally going to involve drop and drift, and hitting tiny targets from field positions. When I hear Precision Rifle, I think a mix of bolt guns with Nightforce scopes and AR platform guns with SS bull barrels and bipods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    thanks...those were the answers I was looking for.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What response did you get from the Respected Name, when you asked them about the class gear list?

That's not a smartasstic response, it's that most instructors have a real desire to make you successful. The good ones certainly do, and are usually quite happy to help you pick quality, cost-effective gear.

Food for thought.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Serious:
    The individual sponsoring the class asked if people were interested. Having trained with the person before I was definitely interested. Should have read the email more closely. It is not a Precision Shooting class but is a "Designated Marksman" a term I was not familiar with.
    Requirements are 1 MOA. I still do not wish to purchase a new upper, glass etc as my world is short distance and my limited need for ARs is satisfied by SBRs with Aimpoints.
    I don't want to be "that guy" in the class but do wish to learn and bring the information back.
    This past weekend I took my only 16 rifle and 4x32 Trijicon out with my practice 55 grain ammo. Couldn't do better than about 3-4 MOA.
    Next will try Match Ammo and a bipod as a further test.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I attended a precision rifle class and one of the guys there had a 16" AR, can't remember what scope but was able to hit the 700 yard body steel a few times with hornady match 75 grainers. I am sure he had a higher mag scope then 4x. Class was a mix of beginner and experienced. I think he just wanted to test his abilities with longer range targets and was extactic he even hit it.